Rooster unable to lift his head.

The Happster

Happs
Apr 5, 2020
Cloud Nine
One of my roosters broke through the wire and killed a rooster in the adjoining pen while I wasn't there.

This was on Sunday, I gave him a brief check over the next two days before I put him away for the night, he seemed fine both times. On Tuesday I found him standing in his shed with his head to the ground, unable to lift it. His crop was completely empty.
He's roughly 3 years old, there is very little (visible) damage from the incident, and I don't think there was much of a fight due to the fact that the other rooster was 8 years old and not particularly able.

I've brought him in and have been hand feeding him, but the fact that his head is constantly to the ground means that a lot of what I manage to get him to drink just comes straight back out. I've tried to prop his head up by using an old pillow, and it's worked somewhat.

Is there anything else I can do for him?

Yes he is standing most of the time, I've tried to get him to sit down as it means that less comes out of his crop. Seems like he might be holding his head a little higher?
IMG_20240502_160213.jpg

He managed to eat some food by himself yesterday but it was very awkward. Today he's not as interested.

Looks more like a neck sprain to me. Hopefully it will heal over time. I know people give their chickens aspirin, which may help if it is a sprain, but I'm unsure how or how much.

@Eggcessive , @Wyorp Rock , thoughts on what it may be, and potential treatment?
I gave him a tiny amount of aspirin the first day as I was wondering if it could be wry neck caused by injury & inflammation, but was too scared to give him very much, and haven't given him any since.

Thanks for your input btw.

I would give him vitamin therapy. 400UI Vitamin E along with 1/2 tablet B-Complex daily. Give him a little egg to help with the uptake of E.

Could be Wry Neck which is a neurological symptom - common causes are trauma to the head/neck, certain diseases, etc. Treatment is with vitamins to see if that makes a difference, it can take weeks to see improvement sometimes. Since he was in a fight and likely suffered trauma, it's worth trying.

As for getting food into him, offer wet soupy feed that he may be able to pick up a bit easier. You can also tube/syringe if necessary or even try Torpedo feeding. Sometimes you have to try a few different methods and adapt to whatever stage of healing he's in.

I would give him vitamin therapy. 400UI Vitamin E along with 1/2 tablet B-Complex daily. Give him a little egg to help with the uptake of E.

Could be Wry Neck which is a neurological symptom - common causes are trauma to the head/neck, certain diseases, etc. Treatment is with vitamins to see if that makes a difference, it can take weeks to see improvement sometimes. Since he was in a fight and likely suffered trauma, it's worth trying.

As for getting food into him, offer wet soupy feed that he may be able to pick up a bit easier. You can also tube/syringe if necessary or even try Torpedo feeding. Sometimes you have to try a few different methods and adapt to whatever stage of healing he's in.
Thank you, appreciate it. Will try him with that and see how he goes.

Quick update, he is very much enjoying the extra attention.

He's been improving the last few days. He is clearly still in some pain and takes regular breaks to put his head down, but they're not as frequent and he's been moving around and eating and doing chicken stuff.

again, really appreciate the information and support, thank you both.

Back
Top Bottom