Rooster with bumblefoot on both feet

mikic

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 30, 2018
we returned from holiday travels Monday afternoon to find our rooster with what appears to be bumblefoot in both feet. We soaked both feet in epsom salt for 30 minutes and was able to get the scab off his left foot, but the right foot appeared to have a thick scab through a puncture in the skin on the underside of the foot pad. We soaked it again Tuesday morning and afternoon, each time working away at the scab of the right foot. We sprayed with Theracyn and packed the wounds with triple antibiotic ointment covered with gauze and wrapped with self-adhesive tape after each treatment and have repeated that each day since. Attached are photos of both feet. I'm hoping that someone with experience with treating bumblefoot can advise us as to whether the wounds appear to be healing well or if there are other measures that need to be taken. He is eating, drinking, crowing and acting fairly normal.
20200104_193800.jpg
20200104_194101.jpg

It appears you need to be a bit more aggressive about debriding. Soak for at least fifteen minutes in very warm Epsom salt water. Then scrape away all pus material and dark black scabby stuff, every single bit, down to pink raw tissue.

Then follow up with what you've been doing. Serious bumblefoot lesions may need repeated debriding after soaking. An oral antibiotic is called for in some cases but it needs to be a strong one such as Baytril.

It appears you need to be a bit more aggressive about debriding. Soak for at least fifteen minutes in very warm Epsom salt water. Then scrape away all pus material and dark black scabby stuff, every single bit, down to pink raw tissue.

Then follow up with what you've been doing. Serious bumblefoot lesions may need repeated debriding after soaking. An oral antibiotic is called for in some cases but it needs to be a strong one such as Baytril.

we soaked it a few times in warm epsom salt water and attempted to remove the scaby surface, but we did not find pink raw tissue, but instead, the tissue below the scab (as you can see in the photos) looked like yellow string cheese. I assume that you mean this must also be removed and, beyond that, the core of infection needs to be pressed out of the incised opening.
I have also read that some people apply a tourniquet to suppress bleeding while debriding, as well as giving a baby aspirin to help mitigate pain. Do you also recommend that? I have some Tylan, do you think this would work in lieu of Baytril, and do you think administering an oral antibiotic is something that we should be considering in this case?

Last edited:
I would give it a week of soaking in Epson salt squeezing like a pimple after soaking for 15 mins. If still there scrap it out like this guy said.

The yellow waxy stuff is chicken pus. It's like that wherever a chicken has infection. It needs to be all removed as that's where the bacteria lives. That's what's meant by debriding. Also any dried out, dead tissue needs to be removed.

Serious cases of bumblefoot can require weeks and even months to heal. Tylan is an all purpose antibiotic, but hold off on that for now and see how quickly your patient heals after you get rid of all the pus.

Back
Top Bottom