Rooster with Green Poo & Purple Comb/Waddle

Ok - So I Made up a new solution of water with corid, vitamins&electrolytes and probiotics. I wrapped Roo in a towel and forced him to take about 30ml. of the solution, and left the rest in his dish. Poor thing, I heard his stomach gurgle with each swallow, and when I set him down he fell all over the place and couldn't stand. He had finished his egg from breakfast.

I also mixed up some corid for the rest of the flock. Although all my chicks were vaccinated, I still have my other Marans Roo in there, and he will be suceptable from Roo#1's poo in the coop.

I'll keep you posted on progress!

I got it at tractor supply - it's specifically for coccidiosis, I don't think it would treat anything else, not like a general antibiotic. I got the "cow" preparation (20%) but mixed it as the article below describes - much weaker than for cow.

I found this article from the Chicken Doctor:
http://www.thecozynest.com/understanding_coccidiosis.htm

I couldn't get the other 2 drugs mentioned. I hope the corid is enough.

Hey there,I know u may not want too.But bring him in the house.With a heat lamp,white one.It will perk him up if he is cold and give him a lot of attention.This does help.I have done this a lot before.Sandra Huffman,,,,,,Call if you wish 910-324-4518

UPDATE: Roo had a better appetite this morning, and tried to get away when I went to catch him (a good thing, for him!) For breakfast I gave him some mash made from pellets & water, mixed with leftover oatmeal. His poo is much more solid now, although still green with white. I'm giving him fluids orally every morning and night, in case he's still not drinking his medicine.

Hey there I am so glad that he is doing much better.Just saw this and am very happy for you,Sandra Huffman [email protected]
hugs.gif

Well, I moved roo back into the coop. I would have waited, but I need his pen for my chicks this week. His poo is back to normal, and he is more feisty, although still unstable and the hens are picking on him a bit. I am continuing to treat the whole flock with corid.

Which brings me to 2 questions - I got cow corid (20%) and I am mixing it 1t/gal (as the article above) I think I just read that there is a 9.5% for use in chickens, but the dosage is 2t/gal, which gives the same concentration. Is that all right? AND if I am controlling an outbreak, do I just treat for 7 days or do I need to go for longer. ALSO, I just read that I need to mix up new corid each day, but I've been averaging about every other day... Should I extend my treatment to make up for lost days?

Thanks everyone, I'm very glad that my roo is going to make it,,

Back
Top Bottom