Turkey Girl

Songster
5 Years
Feb 18, 2019
My nine-week-old French Black Copper Marans Roo has not been looking good. He had Coccidiosis a few weeks ago and has been treated. Yesterday we noticed that he has a bunch of yellowish-white stuff stuck to the vent feathers. We quarantined him away from the flock. He's not eating and isn't pooping. He has probiotics in his water and mixed in with his food is some grapes, nutritional yeast, and elderberries. What can we do for him? We are giving him a daily bath and putting anti-fungal cream on his vent.
Thanks,

Turkey Girl

How old is your roo and what had you used to treat his Cocci? I use 1 tsp per gallon Corid 9.6% amprolium for 5-7 days for moderate to severe outbreaks or 1/2 tsp for 21 days for mild cases and prevention. After treatments it is always best to supplement your birds with fresh drinking water that has vitamins and electrolytes in it so that they can build up healthy immune systems again which will make them less likely to get sick again. Vent gleet sucks! I had a hen who had it last year and I tried just about everything but vet antibiotics to cure it - epsom salt baths, monistat, other fungus/antibacterial creams/ointments, ect. but it just kept coming back so I had to make the decision to cull her. Maybe can try giving him some plain yogurt or fresh cut garlic cloves mixed with feed to try getting him to eat and poop

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you get a disposable glove and lubricate it, then try to insert a finger inside his vent to see if there is stuck poop or obstruction inside? How long has it been since he pooped? Is he drinking water? If not, tube feeding may be needed. Mineral oil in some egg or some chilled coconut oil for him to peck can help if he is constipated or plugged up. Can you post any pictures of his cleaned up vent? If he is soiled soaking him in warm soapy water and a little wash should clean him.

Generic Names are: bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B (topical). The active ingredients in Neosporin are three antibiotics that fight different types of infection: neomycin, polysporin, and bacitracin. Find something that has those ingredients.

Next time he poops if it looks normal then he should be okay but if it's still nasty runny-looking with foul yeast odor then he indeed has a case of vent gleet.

Also, if you are quarantining him...do you have him outside with others or is he somewhere else where he cannot see/hear rest of flock? Jw, as this may be a reason why he might refrain from his normal eating habits

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, if you are quarantining him...do you have him outside with others or is he somewhere else where he cannot see/hear rest of flock? Jw, as this may be a reason why he might refrain from his normal eating habits
He is away from the rest of the flock. We used Corid on all of our birds, but he is the only one not getting better. Thank you for your help!

Can you get a disposable glove and lubricate it, then try to insert a finger inside his vent to see if there is stuck poop or obstruction inside? How long has it been since he pooped? Is he drinking water? If not, tube feeding may be needed. Mineral oil in some egg or some chilled coconut oil for him to peck can help if he is constipated or plugged up. Can you post any pictures of his cleaned up vent? If he is soiled soaking him in warm soapy water and a little wash should clean him.
We just realized him hiding away from the flock yesterday, so I'm not sure how long it's been. I think he has been drinking, but I can't be sure.

Here is an update: he was constipated, so we tryed to help him poop. He ended up passing away in his sleep last night. Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom