Roosters. Meat.... not sure where to post this

Sono

Songster
Jul 16, 2021
DeSoto Mo
I am in DeSoto Missouri. I ended up with 4 maybe 5 Roosters, fairly large too !
I am looking for someone who may be interested in buying them , trading for some hens or someone who can dress them and will share the meat 50/50 for their time ? I have never slaughtered chickens and kinda at a loss with birds so prefer to have someone with knowledge to do so as I cant really find any processors in my area. Basically pluck n gut, bag n tag LOL

I'm pretty sure you'll find a neighbor or someone who'll happily take them off your hands, soon enough - but just in case, if you're not squeamish, it's really not difficult to slaughter and process the birds yourself. I taught myself by watching a few YouTube videos, and was off to the races. As a first-time rookie, you could process those 4 or 5 roosters in a couple of hours, and you don't need any specialized equipment to do so.

BYC has a thread dedicated to each state, under the "Social" section, then under "Where am I? Where are you!". You could post your query there. Missouri's thread is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/calling-any-one-from-missouri.73271/

You might try one or more Facebook groups dedicated to chickens, livestock, locally-produced farm products, etc. Marketplace will likely reject any listing, but I've had luck in the individual groups. Or just put it in your own FB page and see what happens. Or Craigslist, perhaps. Even if it's flagged off, it'll be up for long enough, probably, to get some takers.

I'm pretty sure you'll find a neighbor or someone who'll happily take them off your hands, soon enough - but just in case, if you're not squeamish, it's really not difficult to slaughter and process the birds yourself. I taught myself by watching a few YouTube videos, and was off to the races. As a first-time rookie, you could process those 4 or 5 roosters in a couple of hours, and you don't need any specialized equipment to do so.

BYC has a thread dedicated to each state, under the "Social" section, then under "Where am I? Where are you!". You could post your query there. Missouri's thread is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/calling-any-one-from-missouri.73271/

You might try one or more Facebook groups dedicated to chickens, livestock, locally-produced farm products, etc. Marketplace will likely reject any listing, but I've had luck in the individual groups. Or just put it in your own FB page and see what happens. Or Craigslist, perhaps. Even if it's flagged off, it'll be up for long enough, probably, to get some takers.
I may have to find a fb group. Since my wrist surgery 4 months ago my wrist is jacked up, no grip and lack of motion. So I don’t want to attempt it

I am looking for someone who may be interested in buying them , trading for some hens or someone who can dress them and will share the meat 50/50 for their time ? I have never slaughtered chickens and kinda at a loss with birds so prefer to have someone with knowledge to do so as I cant really find any processors in my area. Basically pluck n gut, bag n tag LOL

Are you interested in learning to do it yourself? This video is excellent to teach you how to slaughter and process your own birds. It shows how to do it humanely with respect. I just did my first three last month. It went very well. I know now I never have to worry about what to do about hatching cockerels.

Ive researched all the videos
Are you interested in learning to do it yourself? This video is excellent to teach you how to slaughter and process your own birds. It shows how to do it humanely with respect. I just did my first three last month. It went very well. I know now I never have to worry about what to do about hatching cockerels.
Ive researched all the videos, just not confident enough to do it myself. I can do large animals fine just birds I dont care to mess with.

You may get lucky and find someone willing to trade or buy, but my guess is more than likely you’ll have to give them away or sell them for a very small price. If you have any Amish or Mennonite communities in your area that is probably the best place to start ansking around.

The amount of work involved in processing a birds vs the amount of meat you get (especially if they aren’t meat bird) doesn’t really make it a smart trade for the processor to process all of them for half the meat.

Someone is interested in buying them this weekend so hopefully they are gone. Going to put the new chicks out at the end of may. Noticed one of the hens is getting overworked by one of the Roos, I’m sure she will be happy that he is gone.

You could do what I did when, through no fault of my own, I was unexpectedly faced with having to dispatch a chicken. I printed out instructions on how to process a chicken from the internet. I followed them one step at a time. I just concentrated on the present step without thinking about the next one. Before I knew it, I had a clean naked chicken in the fridge. I found that the most important thing was to not think about it. Just do it. I used a large sharp heavy-duty pair of pruning shears to kill the chicken. An ax was not an option for me. In the end, you have to do what works for you and what you are comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom