Roosters not mating near other roosters

inquisitivebird

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2014
I have 4 chicken pens set up next to each other. They have different breeds in each one. I am getting eggs from 3 of the pens. It's the middle of winter here in New Zealand. I've collected eggs and incubated them and only one rooster is fertilising the eggs. He's the largest and most impressive. All the roosters are under a year old. The roosters can't see each other, but they can hear each other. I let one group out each day to free range before putting them to bed and then another group goes out the next day. When they are out of their pen, they can see the other roosters when they walk past the front of their pens. My question is, is it possible that the other roosters are not mating because they have submitted to the bigger rooster? Even though the bigger rooster can't get to the other hens? Or maybe it's just winter and they don't feel like it? I'm reallig hoping to hatch babies from these guys and sell eggs. The rooster that is mating is a cross breed with one hen. The two that aren't are a lavender Orpington, with 5 hens and a speckled sussex, with one hen. They all crow. I really wanted to breed multiple breeds on one property, but maybe I can't?

I really hope so... Lol, I guess I'll stop wasting eggs in my incubator then. We'll eat them until I'm sure they are more active.

Back
Top Bottom