Roosting already??

Firefly

Songster
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Connecticut
My 6 little RIRs will be 2 weeks this Friday, and already seem to want to roost. When I take the top off the box to clean and feed they all fly up to the edge to roost (it's about 12" high!). Is it too soon to put a little roost in the box for them? And if so, what would be best to use at this age?

I'm hoping this will help keep them off their food dish-- I've tried elevating it and it's not working!

Mine started roosting on a little flat roost (about 1.5" by 10") I made from scrap wood in their 2nd week, I think. It is about 4" off the floor and they all love it. I set it so that one end is under the light, and the other is radiating away from the light like a sunbeam so that they can pick where on the roost is the right temperature for them to sit.

-MTchick

yepp at 2wks old they start wanting to roost.an try out their little wingletts.beware now theyll fly out of the brooder.while your feeding an watering them.

MTChick-- thanks for the idea! I'll put one together for them tomorrow.

Wynedot-- funny you should say that, because after I posted this when I went up to change the water, one flew right out! I couldn't believe she cleared the box.
woot.gif

yea when i open mine she just jumps on the top of the box and she's about.....

hmmmm.......

almost 3 weeks

she started at the age of 1 week!

she knocks her food and water over all the time is that normal?

i hope ive been at help
smile.png

They really are amazing little creatures. I've grown so attached to them already!

Thanks again for the feedback everyone.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom