Rules for Breeding Blue/Black/Splash Silkies?

msiler

Songster
Nov 26, 2018
Hello! I have month old Silkie chicks coming this week: 2 black, 2 splash, and 3 Blue. They are from show quality lines. Of course, I won't know genders until 5 months from now, but if I happen to get 1 of each color rooster, and all are breeding quality, I will need to decide which one to keep!
Are there any color combos that you should avoid when breeding these colors? (The only combo I know to avoid so far is a black rooster with leakage over a splash hen) Or can they all be crossed equally to create good stock?

I wouldn't breed any with leakage.
BBS breeds as follows...
Blk X Blk = 100% Blk
Blk X Blu = 50% Blk 50% Blu
Blu X Blu = 25% Blk 50% Blu 25% Spl
Blu X Spl = 50% Blu 50% Spl
Blk X Spl = 100% Blu
Spl X Spl = 100% Spl
Any combo can be bred just depends what outcome you want in reguard to colors produced or not produced.

Use Blue as often as you can.

I've no idea how the lacing is on Silkie but Blue variety should have lacing. By always using a blue you are selecting for the lace quality as well.

Also, blue color should be slate. Many blue are too light. By using blue you know what color you are working with. It's best to breed two blues that are close in color and closest to the standard. With best lacing.

If the entire flock needs darker blue then Black should be used. Splash will lighten them so should only be used with black. It's the means to get your blue numbers up for selection of breeders. Black and Splash begets 100% blue.

You should always use blue but the other colors are needed at times.

Of course above is only about color. Keep in mind body type and other attributes. That's where need comes in to use other colors too. If you've a fantastic type Splash you should use it. I'd try to use it on one or two best body type blacks.

You get the idea. Breed with intent and avoid any brassy birds. Autosomal red is the bain of Blue.

Use Blue as often as you can.

I've no idea how the lacing is on Silkie but Blue variety should have lacing. By always using a blue you are selecting for the lace quality as well.

Also, blue color should be slate. Many blue are too light. By using blue you know what color you are working with. It's best to breed two blues that are close in color and closest to the standard. With best lacing.

If the entire flock needs darker blue then Black should be used. Splash will lighten them so should only be used with black. It's the means to get your blue numbers up for selection of breeders. Black and Splash begets 100% blue.

You should always use blue but the other colors are needed at times.
This is exactly what I was wanting to know!!! Thank you!:yesss:

Of course above is only about color. Keep in mind body type and other attributes. That's where need comes in to use other colors too. If you've a fantastic type Splash you should use it. I'd try to use it on one or two best body type blacks.

You get the idea. Breed with intent and avoid any brassy birds. Autosomal red is the bain of Blue.

Yes I will definitely be looking at more than just color! Type, comb color, toe number etc. will also be some of my major deciding factors. As of right now blue is my favorite color but we will see how the rest of the stock looks then! I'm waiting to see how the chicks develop before I make any final decisions on which variety I want to breed.

The Blue variety is all three colors. For show usually only the blue color are allowed. All the colors work toward improvement. I know I down played the splash some but it can also be used if you run into trouble with too dark of blue birds. All the colors can be used but with this variety it's really important to have very select matings. You could mate a splash to a dark blue or black in one cage, two of your best blue in another and best black over a splash in third cage/breeding pen.

@The Moonshiner- I know right? Does Silkie have lace? The thing of that is Blue should always have lace and many breed lines have lost it due to not paying attention. But I could believe Silkie never had it. They are an odd one.

I wouldn't be concerned with lacing. I've never seen lacing on blue silkies. Idk if its that it doesn't show on them or they just don't have it.
I'm not too experienced in any of the color stuff yet, but I haven't ever heard or seen the lacing gene in blues. I have a Blue Andalusian though, and she definitely shows some lacing.

Back
Top Bottom