Run roof for leafy, snowy, predetor filled skies

NicholeT

Chirping
Mar 27, 2023
Rubicon, WI
We are getting close to building the 10x14 run and although I did my research on here we are still really torn on what to use to cover the run. A few things to note, sometimes we get a lot of snow, we have decent drainage although the run area is currently a mud pit, we chipped a bunch of dead branches and trees to create natural mulch that should provide a nice floor for the run. As you can see the lot is wooded so leaves will build up.

For corrugated solid roofing, how do you seal the little holes the corrugation creates? For netting, does it collect snow? If it does, does it get too heavy and droop? I read a few people used chicken wire...how is that holding up to predetors? Someone locally suggested using that cover that's used for hoop structures- anyone try that?

We aren't completely sold on a solid roof because I feel like the mulch and drainage will handle the weather fine and we have hardy chicks (BSL.) In the winter I will just throw mulch on top of the snow to encourage them to come out if we go with something that doesn't catch the snow. We also have not decided if we will have the roof slanted or flat.
0509230832b_HDR.jpg

0509230832_HDR.jpg

0509230831.jpg

We are getting close to building the 10x14 run and although I did my research on here we are still really torn on what to use to cover the run. A few things to note, sometimes we get a lot of snow, we have decent drainage although the run area is currently a mud pit, we chipped a bunch of dead branches and trees to create natural mulch that should provide a nice floor for the run. As you can see the lot is wooded so leaves will build up.

For corrugated solid roofing, how do you seal the little holes the corrugation creates? For netting, does it collect snow? If it does, does it get too heavy and droop? I read a few people used chicken wire...how is that holding up to predetors? Someone locally suggested using that cover that's used for hoop structures- anyone try that?

We aren't completely sold on a solid roof because I feel like the mulch and drainage will handle the weather fine and we have hardy chicks (BSL.) In the winter I will just throw mulch on top of the snow to encourage them to come out if we go with something that doesn't catch the snow. We also have not decided if we will have the roof slanted or flat.
View attachment 3498739

View attachment 3498756
View attachment 3498757
Chicken wire wont keep much out so I think you can rule that out.
Loose nylon netting (not stretched tight over the top) will keep hawks and most climbing predators out.
How either of these perform will depend on how well the run is built.
What the Americans call quarter inch hardware cloth will keep most predators out if you use a heavy guage but if you get snow you may find the snow sits on the hardware cloth and this will add a lot of weight to the roof.

So, your choice is going to be largely determined by the strength of the frame you plan to sit the roof on and the stability of the upright posts.

Say you've used something like four inch square treated wooden uprights, one third of the post length sat in the ground and perhaps two centre posts for roof support then I would go for something like this,

https://www.ultimate-one.co.uk/prim...3ft-30m-34x34-mesh-16-swg16mm-european-p-1412

They make closure options out of wood or foam for the corrugated roofing. I would go with a solid roof. I had wire and the snow bowed it down 3 ft I couldn't even stand in my own run at that height. Wire will also collect leaves and ice and branches. I would go metal roof.

Last edited:
For that size run, I would do a solid roof for many reasons: Predator proofing, mud control, fact that tossing wood chips on snow doesn't work, they really don't like running around in snow. My chickens have 1 acre to roam but stay gathered under roof cover or in coop when it snows. Galvanized ring shank works great for the roofing holes (nails or screws with rubber.) I have open chain link run with partial covered area, corrugated fiberglass on a slant off of my coop. Snow slides right off into the woods. Mine is mostly open because it's about 5000square feet. It's not predator proof.

Even my 2x4 mesh run roof can catch snow...and snow piling up all winter makes a real mess when it starts to melt in the spring. I keep parts of the run shoveled to avoid that mess and keep a path cleared to knock snow off the mesh when it catches.
Definitely slant any roof for rain and snow melt run off.
Build your run framing strong to hold up to snow load.

Back
Top Bottom