Runny Poo in 6 day old chicks

Since coccidia are everywhere, that's a possibility. But there's an incubation period of five to seven days from first exposure to onset of symptoms.

If ground water is contaminated, there are all sorts of bacteria that can affect your well water, and it takes very little to make tiny chicks sick and die. Then, if there are any gas and oil drilling operations in your vicinity, they use toxic chemicals in their drilling, and that can leech into the well water, as well. You probably should ask the health department where you can take a water sample to be tested.

Meanwhile, it won't hurt to start the chicks on Corid.
What kind of feed do you recommend to pair with Corid?

It doesn't matter. But no extra B vitamins must be given during treatment. Corid is a thiamine blocker, what coccidia thrive on.
So I shouldn’t feed country road with it then? Or really any medicated food ? This feed says “should be only source of thiamine”. I also know thiamine deficiency is possible.
It doesn't matter. But no extra B vitamins must be given during treatment. Corid is a thiamine blocker, what coccidia thrive on.
Hot spot under brooder light is 84F furthest point is 60F.

They are now doing fine! They are 6 and 5 weeks old . Every so often they’ll have runny poos, but usually it looks “normal” . If you give them electrolytes that could explain more runny poo. What are you feeding them ?
They are eating chick started crumbles mixed with a little medicated chick crumbles. They are drinking water but nothing else at this point. I was thinking of offering a second container of electrolyte/probiotic water

They were vaccinated for Coccidiosis by the hatchery.

They are eating chick started crumbles mixed with a little medicated chick crumbles.
If they were vaccinated for coccidiosis the medicated feed is negating the vaccine. I don't think that's the cause of the runny poop, just mentioning it.

Is the runny poop consistent or just every so often?

Back
Top Bottom