Safe Cleaners For Coop

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
Im deep cleaning my ducks coop tomorrow. I am wondering what is something I can clean these boards/walls with. There are some poop on them and I would really like to get it off. Is there any cleaners I can use inside their house? I’m not quite sure but I think I read in here someone that used distilled vinegar..? Help!! I don’t want to use any dangerous stuff in there!

Do you have any specific concerns with prior insects or disease?
When washing up my coop I just use warm water & soap to remove any old poop. Sometime I need to let it sit for a few minutes first but it will eventually soften up and wash off.

It should not be necessary to use any wet cleaning procedures in a chicken coop except in extreme conditions. A dry chicken is a healthy, happy chicken.

Wetting down your coop is likely to present more hazard to the chickens' health than a little residue of dry poop remaining after a change of bedding and the scraping of roosts. :)

It should not be necessary to use any wet cleaning procedures in a chicken coop except in extreme conditions. A dry chicken is a healthy, happy chicken.

Wetting down your coop is likely to present more hazard to the chickens' health than a little residue of dry poop remaining after a change of bedding and the scraping of roosts. :)
Yes, but......
my ducks coop tomorrow

Do you have any specific concerns with prior insects or disease?
When washing up my coop I just use warm water & soap to remove any old poop. Sometime I need to let it sit for a few minutes first but it will eventually soften up and wash off.
No i DONT see any bugs except there is a few spider webs. I just want to remove the the old poop. And I don’t think they have disease, at least they seem really healthy to me.

I make my own cleaning solution that has to set awhile before using. I use this once a year, it doesn’t kill pest. In a container I put orange peelings and then fill with white vinegar. This needs to sit in a dark place. It is ready to use when you open the container and you don’t smell any vinegar.

No i DONT see any bugs except there is a few spider webs. I just want to remove the the old poop. And I don’t think they have disease, at least they seem really healthy to me.
I'd just use water...and a scraper....anything too aromatic is not good for their respiratory systems

Im deep cleaning my ducks coop tomorrow. I am wondering what is something I can clean these boards/walls with. There are some poop on them and I would really like to get it off. Is there any cleaners I can use inside their house? I’m not quite sure but I think I read in here someone that used distilled vinegar..? Help!! I don’t want to use any dangerous stuff in there!
I use a product called Simple Green and a touch of bleach to scrub the wood floor of my coop.

In all the years that I have had chickens I have never needed to do a deep cleaning. My original coop was cleaned out on a quarterly basis. This entailed removing all the pine shavings. That being said I have also never had any health issues that made me feel I should do anything more in depth. With my new coop I have washed the front of the poop board off a couple of time with soap and water. The only reason is that I often touch the area with my bare hands and it grosses me out if it is too dirty. I find that warm water and soap is often the most effective cleaner out there when needed.

Back
Top Bottom