Safeguard pellets how much to give

The thing about using those medicated pellets is getting the right amount into each bird daily. If you mix the medicated pellets into a daily amount of feed for all the birds, one bird will eat more than another and that messes with the daily birds dose of Fenbendazole which may result in underdosing and then the worms may become resistant to the medication. This is not a good thing. It is better to use the paste or suspension and directly dose each bird with the proper amount of Fenbendazole than mixing the pellets in their feed and hoping they will eat the proper amount of pellets each.

But there is a zero day withdrawal mash method that uses the paste or suspension so one could technically use the pellets like that too.

Also, depending on how many birds you have, you could separate each bird until they eat the right amount of pellets and then let them out but that sounds like alot of trouble.

So if you are still willing to use the pellets, here are the converisons and do so at your own risk:

Fenbendazole Dose10% Paste or Suspension0.5% Pellets
0.45 mg/lb0.005 ml per lb of weight90 mg per lb of weight
22.7 mg/lb0.227 ml per lb of weight4.54 g per lb of weight

So if you wanted to use the 22.7 mg/lb dose with a 5 lb chicken using the pellets, that chicken will have to consume 22.7 g of pellets per day.

I don't know what the pellets equate to in volume but if someone will weigh, say 4 cups of the pellets, and tell me exactly what it weighs, I can figure it out then.
I got a fairly small bag of the pellets. It’s is 3 cups total and weighs 15.8 ounces.

Ok so if 3 cups weigh 15.8 oz then:

Fenbendazole Dose0.5% Pellets Weight0.5% Pellets Volume
0.45 mg/lb90 mg per lb of bodyweight0.03 tsp per lb of bodyweight
22.7 mg/lb4.54 g per lb of bodyweight1.46 tsp per lb of bodyweight

So a 1 lb bird would have to eat 1.46 tsp of the pellets in a days time to get the 22.7 mg/lb dose per day.

Last edited:
A four pound hen needs 90 mg of fenbendazole for 5 consecutive days. One gram of the pellets is 5 mg, so you need 18 grams. Do you have a food scale that you can weigh the pellets on?

The paste and the liquid are both 10% Fenbendazole, so they are *exactly* the same. 1 gram of paste = 1 ml of liquid, both have 100mg Fenbendazole. FYI, I weighed 1 ml of the paste and it does weigh 1 gram, so the really are the same. I have no idea how many mg of Fenbendazole are in the pellets, but if you could figure that out *and* get you birds to eat the correct amount, it would work. The amount I like to give mine is 50mg/kg (.5ml per 2.2 pounds of liquid or paste) once and repeat in ten days.

-Kathy
I am completely confused about how much paste to give to a full size bird

I am completely confused about how much paste to give to a full size bird
You give .23 ml per pound of bird weight. A 4 lb bird would get .92 ml, I would just round to 1 ml. A 6 lb bird would get 1.38 ml. You can squirt the paste onto a surface and draw up the amount in an oral syringe. Or if you have a scale that will measure small gram amounts accurately you can weigh it, 1 ml = 1 gram, so a 4 lb bird would get .92 grams, or round to 1 gram. A 6 lb bird would get 1.38 grams. An inexpensive digital kitchen scale works fine for getting a birds weight. Put a lightweight tray or plate on it that the bird can stand on, zero the scale, then put the bird on. If you don't have that you can use a bathroom scale, weigh yourself and then yourself with the bird and subtract to get the birds weight. Less accurate but will get you in the ballpark, when rounding a dose, always round up, never down, you don't want to under dose. A little too much won't hurt anything.

Know some of this is pretty dated but do see this past Feb on last post SO...
Here's a real monkey wrench to make this hurt your head a BIT more ;-)....

Have a bag of pellets by a different manufacturer but still using "Safe-guard" trademarked Fenbendazole "Type B Medicated Feed"....BUT this Equine (apple flavored) Dewormer contains a completely different amount....it's 1.96% Fenbendazole! Says for "horses only" as opposed to the popular apple flavored Safe-guard paste that also says it's also for beef and dairy cattle but.... alas we often use "off label" meds for chickens and that's why we check here to try to use others' experience to not recreate the wheel ;-)
OK- so a 5lb chicken with 1.96% pellets... anyone?? anyone?? :gig

Yes have the paste but they are onto me and let's just say last night it ended up ALL over the place in this hot weather even after having it in the freezer WITH their fav seeds over the top of each large "blop" that equals about 2 peas...

I somehow dosed them for 3 days in a row already (had read in ONE of these threads to dose for 3-5 days) but then remembered that I'm not supposed to do this if molting- not sure if this is a "true/full" molt or due to stress/heat/illness related but a molt is a molt and someone lost a LOT of feathers over a week or so....SO...

I stopped after 3 days and then 10 days later got the first dose in OK, but yesterday was a near defeat for me- did get SOME in each but def not a full dose...
BUT now within this thread I see (maybe due to being older info??) to give ONE time repeated ONCE 10-14 days later- (for any eggs at initial dosing- and for roundworms specifically)

I'm starting to think about just calling it for now and if they aren't better soon, we'll repeat Valbazen again. Just always concerned about them developing resistance due to insufficient dosing!

Got their first dose of Valbazen a few weeks after same problem with Fenbendazole in Feb. and as one still had concerning poops and pale comb/wattles- I repeated it about 3 months later. (prob should have done sooner but missed how bad she was w/ my focus on 2 others that were very sick and have since passed :( )

Had MAJOR outcome from that second cycle of Valbazen- had MANY dead roundworms in poop under roosts! Mostly from two of them, including the one with still pale comb.

From all my reading here, you really shouldn't see any worms in their poop- ever- even after worming them- unless they REALLY have an overload of worms... I've only seen ONE in a broody poop a few years ago so this was a bit alarming- but "at least I caught it" I tried to tell myself but she's STILL pale and gradually losing weight... despite much care to try to prevent...

WILL say that just last night she's showing the FIRST signs of "pinking up" that I've seen in months.... so- fingers crossed!

Just don't want to drop the ball and not sure whether to stop after a questionable second day dosing on the 10 day "re-dose"... Don't want them to become resistant to one of two good/safer options in my "arsenal"...

ANY opinions- prob have to decide here before someone answers but that's why I was looking at these pellets for their dinner 'treat'...(often give fermented feed w/supplements they may need like extra Calcium/vitamins at this time)

All you need to use is Valbazen. It slowly kills worms over several days, then repeat again 10 days later after the initial dosing. Done.
Use a syringe without a needle and dose each bird individually. That way you know they got properly wormed, no guesswork about it.
Dont worry about resistance. I've been using Valbazen for years and I worm my birds monthly.

Know some of this is pretty dated but do see this past Feb on last post SO...
Here's a real monkey wrench to make this hurt your head a BIT more ;-)....

Have a bag of pellets by a different manufacturer but still using "Safe-guard" trademarked Fenbendazole "Type B Medicated Feed"....BUT this Equine (apple flavored) Dewormer contains a completely different amount....it's 1.96% Fenbendazole! Says for "horses only" as opposed to the popular apple flavored Safe-guard paste that also says it's also for beef and dairy cattle but.... alas we often use "off label" meds for chickens and that's why we check here to try to use others' experience to not recreate the wheel ;-)
OK- so a 5lb chicken with 1.96% pellets... anyone?? anyone?? :gig

Yes have the paste but they are onto me and let's just say last night it ended up ALL over the place in this hot weather even after having it in the freezer WITH their fav seeds over the top of each large "blop" that equals about 2 peas...

I somehow dosed them for 3 days in a row already (had read in ONE of these threads to dose for 3-5 days) but then remembered that I'm not supposed to do this if molting- not sure if this is a "true/full" molt or due to stress/heat/illness related but a molt is a molt and someone lost a LOT of feathers over a week or so....SO...

I stopped after 3 days and then 10 days later got the first dose in OK, but yesterday was a near defeat for me- did get SOME in each but def not a full dose...
BUT now within this thread I see (maybe due to being older info??) to give ONE time repeated ONCE 10-14 days later- (for any eggs at initial dosing- and for roundworms specifically)

I'm starting to think about just calling it for now and if they aren't better soon, we'll repeat Valbazen again. Just always concerned about them developing resistance due to insufficient dosing!

Got their first dose of Valbazen a few weeks after same problem with Fenbendazole in Feb. and as one still had concerning poops and pale comb/wattles- I repeated it about 3 months later. (prob should have done sooner but missed how bad she was w/ my focus on 2 others that were very sick and have since passed :( )

Had MAJOR outcome from that second cycle of Valbazen- had MANY dead roundworms in poop under roosts! Mostly from two of them, including the one with still pale comb.

From all my reading here, you really shouldn't see any worms in their poop- ever- even after worming them- unless they REALLY have an overload of worms... I've only seen ONE in a broody poop a few years ago so this was a bit alarming- but "at least I caught it" I tried to tell myself but she's STILL pale and gradually losing weight... despite much care to try to prevent...

WILL say that just last night she's showing the FIRST signs of "pinking up" that I've seen in months.... so- fingers crossed!

Just don't want to drop the ball and not sure whether to stop after a questionable second day dosing on the 10 day "re-dose"... Don't want them to become resistant to one of two good/safer options in my "arsenal"...

ANY opinions- prob have to decide here before someone answers but that's why I was looking at these pellets for their dinner 'treat'...(often give fermented feed w/supplements they may need like extra Calcium/vitamins at this time)
Guess honestly it comes down to IF I'm giving it:

If I'm to give ~3mg of 0.5% strength pellets for a ~5lb chicken Then I need to use math to figure out how much less I am giving for essentially 2% strength pellets....

"Basic" math, eh?! Problem is my brain is just frozen up in the details of all I just read.... ;-)
Had the 0.5% pellets already weighed out but would be easier to get them to eat less...and apple flavored too. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom