Sally's GF3 thread

Pics
Very disappointed in my Stuttgater onion harvest. A lot -- most? -- have neck rot. The Red Baron onions do not. Some bulbs got nice and big, but I'm going to lose half to rot. I plan to cut the root half off, mince, and freeze in 1/4 cup amounts.

So not looking forward to doing that... :hit

Does anyone plant multiplier, aka, potato onions? You plant one, and as they grow, it splits (multiplies) and grow around a central stalk. (Where does the "potato" come from? IDK.) I've been growing them for 3 years now, saving "the big ones" and eating the smaller ones, as you do with garlic.

I don't know if I planted the best ones, or if they liked where they were, but these are the biggest I've gotten yet. They still aren't... big... a decent size. Decently strong, too. I bought the starts 3 years ago, and, like EWOs, don't need to buy any more. I don't have enough to share... yet. They are planted in the fall, like EWOs, then dug the end of the next summer, like about now.

I dug the rest of my Red Baron onions today. While I was brushing off some of the sand, I noticed the 5 had a stalk like the multiplier onions have, growing up the side of an onion. I saved those 5 and will plant them with the other multiplier onions, and see if I can get some red multiplier onions. That would be awesome. :)

Here is a tip to pass along to you... Do the work outdoors,,, and have a fan provide a cross breeze for you. You may still cry,,,,,, but much less.
I recall doing something similar when I was small,,, and my mom asked me to grate horseradish on a hand grater. Anyone that grated horseradish can most certainly know,,,, what I am talking about. :old
1693721434435.png

Very disappointed in my Stuttgater onion harvest. A lot -- most? -- have neck rot. The Red Baron onions do not. Some bulbs got nice and big, but I'm going to lose half to rot. I plan to cut the root half off, mince, and freeze in 1/4 cup amounts.

Does anyone plant multiplier, aka, potato onions? You plant one, and as they grow, it splits (multiplies) and grow around a central stalk. (Where does the "potato" come from? IDK.) I've been growing them for 3 years now, saving "the big ones" and eating the smaller ones, as you do with garlic.

I don't know if I planted the best ones, or if they liked where they were, but these are the biggest I've gotten yet. They still aren't... big... a decent size. Decently strong, too. I bought the starts 3 years ago, and, like EWOs, don't need to buy any more. I don't have enough to share... yet. They are planted in the fall, like EWOs, then dug the end of the next summer, like about now.

I dug the rest of my Red Baron onions today. While I was brushing off some of the sand, I noticed the 5 had a stalk like the multiplier onions have, growing up the side of an onion. I saved those 5 and will plant them with the other multiplier onions, and see if I can get some red multiplier onions. That would be awesome. :)
The onions with a stalk were probably getting ready to bloom and make seed. Onions are generally biennial. Did you notice flowers or a bud?

I use to grow potato onions. Lost them because I skipped the big garden a couple years. I was chasing big Red Drum, Trout and Flounder at the coast. Nice to put meat in the freezer, right? This was before grandkids and chickens. lol

The onions with a stalk were probably getting ready to bloom and make seed. Onions are generally biennial. Did you notice flowers or a bud?
No, no flowers, on nearly all. I think I saw a couple flowers at the most.

The onions I've had that flowered and set seed had a stalk that came up from the center of the onion. The red onions with a stalk have an onion to the side, and a flatish stalk coming up, like the potato onions do. We'll see what happens next year! :)

I did a bit of looking online. The rot issue could be something that was on the onion sets I bought. The Red Baron ones were nearly all fine. Nearly all the Stuttgarter have this issue if they have any size to them.

Now I need to go dig all the onion "trash" out of the compost bin, as that is where I dumped it, and it could be carrying the fungus. :(

3 ripe bananas
2 eggs
2 1/2 c almond flour
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c real maple syrup
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Cinnamon & vanilla (I added liberally, as much as you’d prefer)
Handful or two of Chocolate chips or nuts if you want them

Mash bananas with a fork. Add wet ingredients and mix. Add dry ingredients. Grease a loaf pan, pour mixture in. Bake at 350 for 60 minutes, let cool for another 30-45. Stores well in fridge for about 5 days.

We are trying to limit sugar so I actually put 1/8 c brown sugar and it was still good! I didn’t want chocolate chips, so I put them on top of half (instead of mixing in), so my son could have some w the chips and that came out great also! I think dried cranberries or raisins might be good too, will play around with this quite a bit. The boys have requested it 2 weeks in a row, lol.

Back
Top Bottom