Sally's GF3 thread

Pics
A bit of a rant here....

I like Jeffery Deaver's books. I've read several. I like his writing style, I like his characters. Even the bad guys are interesting.

But I wish he would get the gun stuff right!

I think it was in The Bone Collector (the first of the Lincoln Rhyme series) he had Amelia Sachs walking around with a cocked revolver. (Really? REALLY?? She was a cop and should better!) He had her being such a great marksman that she had shot a perfect score in Bullseye Pistol.

Nuh uh. It has never been done in a registered match. I think the record is 2680 or 2685 out of 2700. Bullseye Pistol is purely an accuracy game. VERY good shooters are able to shoot 2650.

My latest complaint: he has someone who shoots a ".38 magnum, with +P ammo."

It's either: a .357 magnum, or .38 with +P.

Maybe he had it right, and the editor changed it. In which case, he should have written STET!

Ok, rant over. I feel better now. Thank you.

Does he admit to various inaccuracies in the authors notes?
Since I'm reading these mostly on my Kindle, I haven't looked. I'll have to go back and check.

I read The Bone Collector many years ago, in print format. When Sachs said she'd shot a perfect 2700, I almost threw the book across the room.

The thing is... these are EASY things to look up online. He has some very technical sounding stuff in how his criminals commit crimes. Those go right over my head, and I'd be clueless if they were inaccurate. I imagine if he messed them up, he'd hear about it.

I stopped reading Lee Child's Jack Reacher books when Reacher put his .44 magnum Desert Eagle pistol in his jacket pocket.

That thing weighs over 4 pounds, EMPTY, and is over 10" long. Uh, no. Just no.

Well, it is fiction....and no use wasting energy on anger at it.

I see a bunch of 'mistakes' in books. Many are explained and/or apologized for in the authors notes, sometimes rather humorously. Mostly to accept blame by the authors and excusing the experts they used. Kinda poking fun at complainers, sometimes complaints are shared there.

Last edited:
Since I'm reading these mostly on my Kindle, I haven't looked. I'll have to go back and check.

I read The Bone Collector many years ago, in print format. When Sachs said she'd shot a perfect 2700, I almost threw the book across the room.

The thing is... these are EASY things to look up online. He has some very technical sounding stuff in how his criminals commit crimes. Those go right over my head, and I'd be clueless if they were inaccurate. I imagine if he messed them up, he'd hear about it.

I stopped reading Lee Child's Jack Reacher books when Reacher put his .44 magnum Desert Eagle pistol in his jacket pocket.

That thing weighs over 4 pounds, EMPTY, and is over 10" long. Uh, no. Just no.
Several years ago I took a handgun class, and learned about safety, handling, and what a gun is actually capable of. It has spoiled television and movies for me, as I notice things, and now critique how the actors handle firearms.

I was one of about a dozen older women who took that class, all of us were clueless as none of us had ever even picked up a real gun before. And many of us were just a little bit scared, too.

Several years ago I took a handgun class, and learned about safety, handling, and what a gun is actually capable of. It has spoiled television and movies for me, as I notice things, and now critique how the actors handle firearms.

I was one of about a dozen older women who took that class, all of us were clueless as none of us had ever even picked up a real gun before. And many of us were just a little bit scared, too.
My husband does the same thing! He is a weapons trainer for his law enforcement job and gets so annoyed with cop shows and movies where they do everything wrong!

Well, it is fiction....and no use wasting energy on anger at it.
Oh, I don't waste too much energy on it. It's just the stuff was easy to find, easy to get right.

I remember seeing a movie set in Pittsburgh with hubby, who grew up in PGH. He kept chuckling during the car chase scene. I asked why he was laughing, and he said, "One second they're in one neighborhood, and 5 seconds later, they're on a road that's 10 miles away. If they screen this in Pittsburgh, it'll get laughed out of the theater."
Good for you! When I took my first class, I was literally pacing the hallway. "I'll be the only woman." (I wasn't.) "I'll be the worst shot in the class." (I wasn't that, either.) I was HUGELY intimidated, as the instructor is/was very well known, and I didn't want to embarrass myself.

I need to replace the filter material I use to cut down on the breeze through the coop, now that the breeze is chillier. The stuff I was using lasted 3 winters, so I was pleased. I kept a link to the website so I could find it again.

I went to the website and what I bought in 2020 for $35ish + shipping is now $150!! It took me a minute to realize that it's a package of 12 pieces, and I need just 2. But it's only available in the package of 12, per the website. I might call them and ask if they have lesser amounts available. This stuff worked well and lasted 3 years.

I looked at other possibilites. One was an $18 Chinese knockoff that said, "Fiberglass" in one line, and "Contains no fiberglass" in another. Nope, not buying it.

I did find a couple other filters, and I'll compare them again tomorrow morning after sleep and coffee.

It's been quite breezy the past couple days, and I can feel the chill in the air. I think I'll put up the wind block panels this week. Maybe the shower curtains too. I see the older birds, who are molting and look rather scraggly, sitting and looking like they're just waiting for things to get better.

I need to replace the filter material I use to cut down on the breeze through the coop, now that the breeze is chillier. The stuff I was using lasted 3 winters, so I was pleased. I kept a link to the website so I could find it again.

I went to the website and what I bought in 2020 for $35ish + shipping is now $150!! It took me a minute to realize that it's a package of 12 pieces, and I need just 2. But it's only available in the package of 12, per the website. I might call them and ask if they have lesser amounts available. This stuff worked well and lasted 3 years.

I looked at other possibilites. One was an $18 Chinese knockoff that said, "Fiberglass" in one line, and "Contains no fiberglass" in another. Nope, not buying it.

I did find a couple other filters, and I'll compare them again tomorrow morning after sleep and coffee.

It's been quite breezy the past couple days, and I can feel the chill in the air. I think I'll put up the wind block panels this week. Maybe the shower curtains too. I see the older birds, who are molting and look rather scraggly, sitting and looking like they're just waiting for things to get better.
What about a shade cloth? I got a couple from Amaz.on and they allow some air, moisture through, might be enough for your needs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0C28VX5HQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

IMG_20230715_113706325_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230630_201849050~2.jpg

What about a shade cloth?
I want to cut as little light as possible, or that would be a possible solution.

Well, I ordered some filter material. Now I hope the whole thing wasn't a scam. Ever heard of Temu? Nope, me neither. I guess it's like Ama,zon...? My USPS tracking number doesn't seem to exist in the postal system. I might order from somewhere else, just to be sure I get something.

Back
Top Bottom