Sally's GF3 thread

WOW! I love that place! I found clear shower curtains (with metal grommets!) in the "this week's specials" aisle. I got 4 at $6 each. I use those as windbreaks for the chickens' run. The ones I have are on their 4th winter, so they've held up really well. But the last time I got them at $6 was at a dollar store, and the holes weren't grometted.
I picked up the only clear one they had left at my store. It feels like it's nice and is crystal clear. Thanks for mentioning it, I had to search but found 1 :).

Yeh! for bees making it so far. January and February are the hardest months. Did they have a lot of stores? I lost mine in 2022, realized their stores were light too late and didn't get enough fed to them in time and swarm trap failed last year.

I picked up the only clear one they had left at my store. It feels like it's nice and is crystal clear. Thanks for mentioning it, I had to search but found 1 :).

Yeh! for bees making it so far. January and February are the hardest months. Did they have a lot of stores? I lost mine in 2022, realized their stores were light too late and didn't get enough fed to them in time and swarm trap failed last year.
I'm wishing I'd bought 4 more clear shower curtains now, at that price, $6 each. But I think the ones I have in use outside right now *might* last another season, ie, next winter. It depends on what's going on with them come April/May.

Since we're newbies at bees (Ok, I have to say it, we're new-bees, haha), we've just been going by what we've heard at the bee meetings. So, if we get a 50+ degree day in February, we'll be putting a patty in the hive. ("Patty" is a mixture of sugar and pollen, made for feeding bees in the winter.)

I'm wishing I'd bought 4 more clear shower curtains now, at that price, $6 each. But I think the ones I have in use outside right now *might* last another season, ie, next winter. It depends on what's going on with them come April/May.
Buy 'em when you see them, save them for when needed ;)

Here's my report on Aldi's.

WOW! I love that place! I found clear shower curtains (with metal grommets!) in the "this week's specials" aisle. I got 4 at $6 each. I use those as windbreaks for the chickens' run. The ones I have are on their 4th winter, so they've held up really well. But the last time I got them at $6 was at a dollar store, and the holes weren't grometted.

Some of the food prices were close, but lower than Meijer, where I usually shop. Obviously, they didn't have the selection of Meijer -- which is huge -- but that's ok. I got hubby some cheese that I hope he likes as well as his usual brand, but I kind of doubt he will, just... cuz.

I can see myself stopping there every other week, on the way home from the chiropractor. I wish there were one closer to me. I gotta drag hubby there to check out their selection of various cheeses and meat.
:thumbsup
What type of shower curtain liners? The ones I have gotten from Aldi's don't get as much mildew as others I have bought, and they've not gotten stiff and brittle as other brands do. One that I retired is now covering straw bales in the coop.

Good find!

Yes, I saw those at the store I went to. I think I'll get one next trip in two weeks.

I'm really hoping Hubby likes some of the "usual" stuff I get, if I get it there. I picked up a packet of lunchmeat, and it just ... looked nicer than the store brand I get at Meijer. REALLY hoping he likes the sharp cheddar...! It's $1.99/8oz versus the $3.69/8 oz (on sale) for Cracker Barrel, which he thinks is the best. I'm not holding out much hope though. :hmm

There aren't any Aldi's in my town, and Meijer will probably keep them out of Lowell, MI, which is where I usually shop. The one I went to is conveniently on my way home from the chiropractor, though.

Thanks for the recipe link. I bookmarked it and will look through it more thoroughly. :thumbsup
One important thing to consider about Aldi's: if you see something, buy it. The item will be out of stock very quickly.

Update on collards. I did the same recipe I posted, and changed the Instant Pot time from 20 minutes to 18. Next time, I'll do 16.

Hubby tried them, thought they were "ok.... a little bland, kind of vinegary." Next time, I'll add a couple of pieces of bacon, see if he likes them better. I'm going to be growing a lot of these, and I'd like him to like them, at least enough to have them occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom