Same Price- 1588 or the 1583? Opinions?

Lady42

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2017
I know the difference between them, I've owned both before. 1583 has a wafer thermostat and 1588 has the electronic.

When I owned the 1588 I had to return it for a replacement as something went wonky with the thermostat within a week of using it.

I can get either of these for the same price however I'm wondering what I should buy?

I'm leaning towards the 1583 just because the wafer thermostat is easier to replace.

Thoughts?

I know the difference between them, I've owned both before. 1583 has a wafer thermostat and 1588 has the electronic.

When I owned the 1588 I had to return it for a replacement as something went wonky with the thermostat within a week of using it. 

I can get either of these for the same price however I'm wondering what I should buy?

I'm leaning towards the 1583 just because the wafer thermostat is easier to replace.

Thoughts?

I love my 1583. I chose that model because through talking to others and through research the one thing I found was the 1588 advises against humidity above 65% because the moisture can throw off the thermostat making it necessary to reset. I prefer to hatch out between 70-75% and in my case the 1588s ran $40 bucks more and digital doesn't matter that much to me. For $122 I couldn't be happier with the 1583.

I love my 1583. I chose that model because through talking to others and through research the one thing I found was the 1588 advises against humidity above 65% because the moisture can throw off the thermostat making it necessary to reset. I prefer to hatch out between 70-75% and in my case the 1588s ran $40 bucks more and digital doesn't matter that much to me. For $122 I couldn't be happier with the 1583.

I never heard that about the 1588. I have the Genesis 1588 and I run over 65% humidity (usually 68 to 75) after day 18 until hatch. I've had hatch rates of up to 95% on shipped eggs, so I feel it performs well. I'm not advocating for the 1588 because I never used a 1583 to compare them, but I'm curious to know if it was an authoritative source or just posts here in this forum that said the humidity causes a problem.

I never heard that about the 1588. I have the Genesis 1588 and I run over 65% humidity (usually 68 to 75) after day 18 until hatch. I've had hatch rates of up to 95% on shipped eggs, so I feel it performs well. I'm not advocating for the 1588 because I never used a 1583 to compare them, but I'm curious to know if it was an authoritative source or just posts here in this forum that said the humidity causes a problem.

It was the manufacturer. She called to find out what was going on and they told her the high humidity throws them off and walked her through how to reset it. I also read a like review on one of the sources I was reading when I was trying to make the decision myself. I was told right on the incubator or the manual, it states not to run it higher than 65%. I think Hovabators are excellent.

It was the manufacturer. She called to find out what was going on and they told her the high humidity throws them off and walked her through how to reset it. I also read a like review on one of the sources I was reading when I was trying to make the decision myself. I was told right on the incubator or the manual, it states not to run it higher than 65%. I think Hovabators are excellent.

I'll share what I found out directly from GQF, the 1588 manufacturer:

"The 1588 with the LCD does not have a reset. If it's the older 1588 with the switches then we can help you re-set it".

So the newer 1588 with the LCD control panel does not have a reset.

I'll share what I found out directly from GQF, the 1588 manufacturer:

"The 1588 with the LCD does not have a reset. If it's the older 1588 with the switches then we can help you re-set it".

So the newer 1588 with the LCD control panel does not have a reset.

I wonder how long ago they changed the components. So does that mean the newer ones stand up to moisture better so they don't need to be reset or if it needs to be reset you are just out of luck? Lol

I wonder how long ago they changed the components. So does that mean the newer ones stand up to moisture better so they don't need to be reset or if it needs to be reset you are just out of luck? Lol

See...that I don't know yet. I'm still batting emails back and forth. I started by contacting Incubator Warehouse where I bought my 1588. Their customer service told me as far as they know, there is no reset and they contacted GQF to make an inquiry about a control panel reset on my behalf. That's when we found out about the old model and the LCD model. I'm guessing it's been a little while since the newer model has been out because IW didn't know about any reset. I am now just beginning my email exchange directly with GQF. Knowing what I know about switches and solid state components, I'll venture a guess that the unit with the LCD control panel isn't sensitive to the humidity as the old model with the switches was, however, they didn't change their warranty policy, which says going over 65% voids parts (or maybe all) of the unit's warranty.

I have a Hovabator Genesis and I love it! I've had no issues with humidity higher than 65% for hatching purposes. It does recommend in the manual to keep humidity between 45%-55% for setting and 55%-65% for hatching. My hatch went well, but I only had 6 eggs at the time. The chicks are peeping in the brooder now.

Back
Top Bottom