Sand Floor?

PenelopeRose

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 18, 2015
Hello,

One of my girls has roundworm and while reading up on it, someone mentioned that a sand floor is better than dirt/soil b/c the worms don't (or can't????) live in the sand.

Does anyone use sand in the bottom of their coop? If so, do you struggle w/ fleas or any other issues? Would you recommend sand?

The bottom of my coop is currently bare earth (i.e. there is no bottom to my coop; it was built on top of the grass - which is now just dirt), so I guess I would need to install a barrier over the dirt before laying the sand or else the worms will creep up through the sand - or does the sand work as a deterrent against worms? If I need to build a bottom to separate the sand from the earth, what material is recommended? Wood will mold/rot on the bare ground, a weed mat will not be effective as the girls will dig through it, etc. The coop is made w/ 2x4 posts that are cemented into the earth and chicken wire is buried 8" down all around so raising the coop is not an option.

Thank you for your advice!

I've had sand as the bedding in my coop for several years now. I have never had any issues with worms, and the only thing I do to prevent them is feed pumpkin seeds, which I heard can help but is not super reliant. I just use it as a precaution. I don't know a ton about worms, so I don't know about building a base. Mine is just over bare earth, which was actually pretty sandy to begin with, since I live in AZ.

I have had two outbreaks of lice with my sand coop, but I don't know if the two are related, and it might have just come from the doves and quail that hang around outside.

I have found it much easier to clean than my old bedding, which was just straw. They use it for dust bathing, and when I feed them live bugs they don't get lost in the straw. But since your coop is already soil, you probably don't have as many of those issues. Good luck!

I have a sand-floored coop... And I can tell you... It is way cool. :woot

The biggest benefit of sand, I think is the cleanliness factor. It is easy to keep clean and stays more sanitary. My flock struggled with Bumblefoot for a couple summers (I previously had a bare floor)...
After the salted sand went in, I had no problems. NOT ONE! :yesss:
One case even went away without intervention after the salted sand.
(I like to buy salt in bulk and sprinkle it in the sand to keep bugs and germs away).
I have never had a problem with fleas... or anything else for that matter in the sand (and I live near the west coast in a very 'buggy' area so that says a lot). I have actually had less problems with leg-mites since the sand. :D

As for separating the sand and the ground, I did not put anything between the sand and the earth. However, my soil is pretty rocky and hard (part clay). I do advise making a wood border (6"-8" high) around the perimeter of the run where you plan to put the sand though. (This is so the chickens don't scratch the sand out of the run).
Sand should optimally be refilled once per year to once every other year (as it gets depleted). :)

I've had chickens for 2 years now and have always used sand in my coop so I don't have a comparision... but I can tell you I love it!!! Never had problems with worms or fleas. I have just bare earth underneath the sand and they have never dug down to the earth. As little chicken girl said above, you do have to refill it. We actually are planning to to dig out all the sand and replacing it this year.

I can also tell you when it gets hot we wet the sand. The chickens dig a hole in the sand and sit in it to cool off so it's also beneficial in that way as well.

As for cleaning it's way easy. I use a cat litter scooper to scoop the poop.

I've had chickens for 2 years now and have always used sand in my coop so I don't have a comparision... but I can tell you I love it!!! Never had problems with worms or fleas. I have just bare earth underneath the sand and they have never dug down to the earth. As little chicken girl said above, you do have to refill it. We actually are planning to to dig out all the sand and replacing it this year.

I can also tell you when it gets hot we wet the sand. The chickens dig a hole in the sand and sit in it to cool off so it's also beneficial in that way as well.

I do the same thing when it gets hot out and it works great! :)
My girls love sitting in the wet sand and it keeps them cool. ;)

I am looking into using sand in our coop and run after reading an article about the dangers of using straw. My question is do you find you have to scoop poop all over the run all the time or is it mostly an under the roost thing? I am willing to do the time scooping, I have three kitties so I’m no stranger to that. I am just trying to wrap my head around the using sand method and how it would look each day to do it.

I am looking into using sand in our coop and run after reading an article about the dangers of using straw. My question is do you find you have to scoop poop all over the run all the time or is it mostly an under the roost thing? I am willing to do the time scooping, I have three kitties so I’m no stranger to that. I am just trying to wrap my head around the using sand method and how it would look each day to do it.
Welcome to BYC!
Not sure what the 'dangers of using straw'are ...I mean there are a few cons to it depending on how you use it. But there are cons to using sand too.
Depends on how you want manage the manure.
I use sand/PDZ on poop boards and in brooder(for just one week)...
...but anywhere else sand has more cons than pros, IMO.
I use straw in nests, shavings(and some straw) on coop floor,
and deep litter in run (which also get some straw),
and all the shavings once or twice a year.
You'll find some that love sand, more that tried it and hated it.
About the only place it really works well as a coop and run bedding is in arid climates,
or very small coops/runs.

Welcome to BYC!
Not sure what the 'dangers of using straw'are ...I mean there are a few cons to it depending on how you use it. But there are cons to using sand too.
Depends on how you want manage the manure.
I use sand/PDZ on poop boards and in brooder(for just one week)...
...but anywhere else sand has more cons than pros, IMO.
I use straw in nests, shavings(and some straw) on coop floor,
and deep litter in run (which also get some straw),
and all the shavings once or twice a year.
You'll find some that love sand, more that tried it and hated it.
About the only place it really works well as a coop and run bedding is in arid climates,
or very small coops/runs.
So, I’ve been reading on the site The Chicken Chick and she has basically put doubt into everything I thought I was learning. The dangers of straw, according to the article, are things like increased risk of impacted crop, mold, fungus, it doesn’t absorb moisture, retains heat in the summer..the list went on & on. I like the idea of it in the coop with PDZ but in the run sounds like it could be trouble. Like what do you do with 8-12 inches of sand when it’s time to change it? I have so many questions now that I need to start a whole thread on my questions about conflicting information, specifically in the use of things like straw, and DE (which is apparently another hue no no?). Idk. :idunnoI need a What To Expect When You’re Expecting Chicken’s book for real.

Like what do you do with 8-12 inches of sand when it’s time to change it?
Exactly!
There's a lot to learn the first year most of it before building the coop/run and before getting chicks. It like getting a sip of water from a fire hose.
There's a lot of info out there, some of it bad....
....most of it OK but there are more than a few ways that work, depending on personal preference, climate, etc,etc,etc.
Best to study long and hard before building coop then getting birds....
....or you can always change and/or redo stuff, stay flexible.

Back
Top Bottom