Sand Hill Preservation Center

RedStickLA

Songster
12 Years
Feb 27, 2007
South Louisiana
Y'all that have ordered from Sand Hill how were your mix of pullets and cockerels’???

sad.png
I was very disappointed with my mix last year. I ordered 25 in the following breeds… 10 Delaware, 5 blue Orpingtons, 5 blue Cochins and 5 white Ameraucanas. This is what I ended up with…

Delaware 8 cockerels, 2 pullets
Blue Orpington 3 cockerels, 2 pullets
Blue Cochins 3 cockerels, 2 pullets
White Ameraucana 5 cockerels (From “my” experience…I would not recommend the White Ameraucana’s to anybody. I was very disappointed with them. I received 2 chicks with severely deformed beaks and one of the remaining 3 was a blue splash not a white.)

So my grand total out of 25 chicks was 19 cockerels and 6 pullets.
barnie.gif

I really want to get some of their Delaware so I am going to give it another shot this year. I have ordered 20 Delaware and 5 Speckled Sussex (or I picked 5 Blue Andalusian as a sub for the SS’s). If I get the same results again this year, an over abundance of cockerels, I don’t think I will order from them again.
hmm.png

Mitzi

Last edited:
I ordered from them last year. I ordered salmon faverolles(ended up with 3 pullets, 2 cockerals), buttercups(2 pullets, 3 cockerals), white cochins(2 cockerals, 2 pullets),polish(I sold most of them so I don't remember the ratio.

You can't hold them at fault for having more cockerals. They have no control over it. They sell all their chicks as straight run.

Quote:
wink.png
Yes I realize that...I am not saying they are at fault for my over abundance of cockerels. I am just curious at what others received in their orders.
Mitzi

Quote:
What are you planning on ordering from them? I sent my new order for this year in last week. The Delaware are sold out through 6/2/09 so I have a long wait. I have also placed two orders with Ideal one due on March 18 the other due April 29.
Mitzi

Quote:
What are you planning on ordering from them? I sent my new order for this year in last week. The Delaware are sold out through 6/2/09 so I have a long wait. I have also placed two orders with Ideal one due on March 18 the other due April 29.
Mitzi

I'm thinking about ordering Black Australorps and Speckled Sussex. I'm going in on an order with a friend. I'm not sure what she's planning on. I'm trying to decide how many to order in hopes of ending up with 3 or 4 hens. I'm thinking maybe 7, so I really appreciate your question! (I've love a few Delawares myself but I'm trying to avoid any waiting list breeds. Too impatient!)

Last edited:
Quote:
I know what you mean about the wait....but I really want some of those Delaware’s! I sell eggs at the local farmers market and I want those jumbo egg layers.
droolin.gif
The two pullets that I have from my order this past summer (end of June) have not started to lay yet. I kept one roo so I will make a small pen for the three of them and try to hatch some babies once they do start laying.
I LOVE Speckled Sussex.
love.gif
I am hoping to get a nice roo...watch I will get all pullets this time.
roll.png
I put the Blue Andalusian’s down as a sub for the SS, just in case because I don’t want anything to mess up my chances of getting the Delaware. Black Australorps were some of my first birds. They are nice too.
thumbsup.gif

smile.png
Mitzi

For those interested in ordering from Sandhill, they've had a very cold winter and it's taken a toll on their birds. They don't expect any March hatches at all this year. They're also waiting for the weather to stabilize before they continue taking orders and update the availability on their website.

-Cindy in MA

Quote:
hmm.png
Well that's a bummer...I hope things work out for them. I guess I will have to wait and see if I get my order back. How did you find out this info did you call them?
Mitzi

I order New Jersey Giants, Blue and Black.

First, all of the blues have brown in their feathering, and they say they come from one, if not the best lines of Blue Giants. not pleased

I ended up with 3 to 1 ration cockerels to pullets.

Overall not pleased, given the length of time you wait from ordering to delivery.

"You cant blame them they sell their chicks as straight run" , that doesn't mean they aren't sexing them as keeping the majority of the pullets from themselves. Now understand I am not saying they are, I am more disappointed in the quality vs pricing and ordering time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom