Sassiest Boy Contest - Ends May 31, 2023

Name: John Lennon
Breed: naked neck
Story: Our little John Lennon has quite the personality, he’s extremely curious, brave, not interested in being touched or held and is absolutely bonded with his brooder mate Yolko. He really loves jumping into the toddler Jeep and pooping on it. And last night he dared trying to get on the Top roost bar and when the bossiest pullet went to peck him he ducked and she fell, so he’s been hiding from her all morning, shown in the first pic.
D465343B-3875-4664-BBE4-CF35E8DE02FA.jpeg
9B0E0A0A-1AF2-452B-89E2-DED16CDEFBC7.jpeg

Attachments

• A74F9509-168E-4E4B-80DB-83CE63243B5B.jpeg
    A74F9509-168E-4E4B-80DB-83CE63243B5B.jpeg
    780.4 KB · Views: 12
Name/Aliases: Rusty, Rusty Bucket, THE Bucket, or "Rusty One feather" depending on how much he's annoying me that day

Breed: Unknown, but suspected Lemon Cuckoo Niederrheiner

Age: Unknown, was told "two" but he acts like a pensioner when there's no human to ward off

Story: Rusty is the king, and he'll let you know it. He follows every yard interloper up and down the fences and crows like mad as soon as you are a few yards away. Because "he won" and the entire neighborhood needs to know. But he wasn't always this way!

image.jpg

(Pictured: The Bucket going through a rough molt but still giving me the evil "side eye". This is also where the "Onefeather" joke originated)

I can only suppose he got to be so high and mighty when I answered a "free to good home" ad and he suddenly received a competition-free flock of nine literal spring chickens of the female persuasion. At the time, I found him incapable of perching or judging distances for jumps at all. He often tripped over his own spurs or just ungathered twigs in the chicken run. I worried that he'd never succeed in chasing or catching hens, which was a problem because I wanted his former owners to know he was getting to live his best life, including passing on his genes!

Well, I learned that hens aren't opposed to initiating after all, and it became comical to watch them squatting down and bracing themselves while he slowly considered whether it was worth it to take two steps and hop on vs. continue enjoying the scenery. Often the moment just passed, leaving a disappointed hen to go console herself at the feeder instead!

image.jpg

(Pictured: Rusty after some much needed tailfeather regrowth. Despite his questionable virility he does clean up nice!)

I let one of my hens go ahead and brood a clutch of seven eggs during the winter, realizing it would be difficult but still hoping if I provided enough shelter she'd be able to hatch something based on his very occasional "success". However, the eggs showed no development after 24 days and she had to be convinced to give it up. I was about ready to give up on Rusty, too.

Lo and behold, springtime brought some unexpected life to this dried up old man and suddenly my hens were missing a surprising amount of saddle feathers. My broody started spending hours in the nestbox again and Rusty apparently decided it was time to put the humans in their place as he began his new dynasty. His evil sidling behavior is now constant unless you are carrying a broom. You can't turn your back on him without provoking an attack of opportunity. But the worst that usually happens is you have a feathery football pecking at your foot or he attempts flogging but flies clumsily past you, because he is still a terrible judge of distance 😂

At long last, my broody succeeded in getting 6 out of 12 eggs hatched. Rusty turned out to be a distant, grumpy father who can't be bothered with their annoying behavior, but he continues his increasingly protective behavior of them and the entire flock. I'm proud of the annoying idiot, and he remains the heart of my flock.

And the babies? 5 out of 6 BOYS. Turns out he was used as a breeder by his original owner until they observed that he mostly threw cockerels. ☠️ Well, at least I have a bunch of tiny Rusties to carry the line once he finally is done with the breeding scene for good! Hens determine gender, right? Maybe they are already trying to replace him??? 😂 The Bucket, of course, says that isn't gonna be any time soon.

20230228_143421-COLLAGE.jpg

(Pictured: How Rusty imagines himself. The rooster image is a mask from a very violent game called Hotline Miami that confers certain attack bonuses... The resemblance seems quite appropriate to me!)

Name: Big Red (or sometimes Malakas when he's not careful with his hens, I won't tell you what that means though, you'd have to Google it) Age: Just turned one, or will shortly! Breed: aseel Story: this "little" bugger is the result of me endlessly searching for a pair of aseel, which I did not get. Instead, I got him and his brother last summer as twom month old chicks. They'd been te friendliest birds I've ever had, and the smartest as well. As he reached sexual maturity, and after a not so calm dispute he had with his brother, he was a loner for a couple of weeks. Every time he would see a hen he would get so excited! After a few months, his big day came and he finally got a girlfriend. They were inseparable for the first few weeks. As I'd soon come to find out, even my biggest hen was not able to handle him. His mounting was less than ideal, but that didn't deter him, and combined with the uneven ground, I witnessed some crazy flips he did while trying to mount her. Unfortunately that left the hen with a pretty big wound, so guess who's on chicken Tinder again. Now he spends his day trying to get his girl back, challenging my landrace male that is twice his age, and making nests for his imagery girls. With a bit of luck, I might find some hens for him this summer. Photos include him begging for a second chance (just in case he tries to deny anything) him as a chick, because who doesn't love that, and a picture of him just standing there looking pretty
20230418_195553.jpg
20220802_120357_1.jpg
20230415_180708.jpg

Name: Big Red (or sometimes Malakas when he's not careful with his hens, I won't tell you what that means though, you'd have to Google it) Age: Just turned one, or will shortly! Breed: aseel Story: this "little" bugger is the result of me endlessly searching for a pair of aseel, which I did not get. Instead, I got him and his brother last summer as twom month old chicks. They'd been te friendliest birds I've ever had, and the smartest as well. As he reached sexual maturity, and after a not so calm dispute he had with his brother, he was a loner for a couple of weeks. Every time he would see a hen he would get so excited! After a few months, his big day came and he finally got a girlfriend. They were inseparable for the first few weeks. As I'd soon come to find out, even my biggest hen was not able to handle him. His mounting was less than ideal, but that didn't deter him, and combined with the uneven ground, I witnessed some crazy flips he did while trying to mount her. Unfortunately that left the hen with a pretty big wound, so guess who's on chicken Tinder again. Now he spends his day trying to get his girl back, challenging my landrace male that is twice his age, and making nests for his imagery girls. With a bit of luck, I might find some hens for him this summer. Photos include him begging for a second chance (just in case he tries to deny anything) him as a chick, because who doesn't love that, and a picture of him just standing there looking prettyView attachment 3499123View attachment 3499126View attachment 3499127
Chicken Tinder! :lau

(Pictured: Rusty after some much needed tailfeather regrowth. Despite his questionable virility he does clean up nice!)
Lol, I never saw Charlie breed the geese once, but the eggs were fertile! But only one actually hatched!
I find that older roosters are only fertile for a short part of the year. It’s the cockerels that carry the breeding, here!
Name: Big Red (or sometimes Malakas when he's not careful with his hens, I won't tell you what that means though, you'd have to Google it) Age: Just turned one, or will shortly! Breed: aseel Story: this "little" bugger is the result of me endlessly searching for a pair of aseel, which I did not get. Instead, I got him and his brother last summer as twom month old chicks. They'd been te friendliest birds I've ever had, and the smartest as well. As he reached sexual maturity, and after a not so calm dispute he had with his brother, he was a loner for a couple of weeks. Every time he would see a hen he would get so excited! After a few months, his big day came and he finally got a girlfriend. They were inseparable for the first few weeks. As I'd soon come to find out, even my biggest hen was not able to handle him. His mounting was less than ideal, but that didn't deter him, and combined with the uneven ground, I witnessed some crazy flips he did while trying to mount her. Unfortunately that left the hen with a pretty big wound, so guess who's on chicken Tinder again. Now he spends his day trying to get his girl back, challenging my landrace male that is twice his age, and making nests for his imagery girls. With a bit of luck, I might find some hens for him this summer. Photos include him begging for a second chance (just in case he tries to deny anything) him as a chick, because who doesn't love that, and a picture of him just standing there looking prettyView attachment 3499123View attachment 3499126View attachment 3499127
I guess he needs a tough Aseel lady!

Lol, I never saw Charlie breed the geese once, but the eggs were fertile! But only one actually hatched!
I find that older roosters are only fertile for a short part of the year. It’s the cockerels that carry the breeding, here!

I guess he needs a tough Aseel lady!

I need one too, but the chicken gods ain't giving me one

Name: Cornelius
Breed: Easter Egger
Story: We had ordered 3 chicks from mt healthy and he was our extra. We had a rooster previously and he was aggressive, obnoxious, overbreed his hens, and attacked me horribly we had culled him a week before if figured out Cornelius wasn’t a Cornelia. I was terrified of going through more rooster stuff but with some help from members on BYC I have decided to give him a chance. And I am so glad I did he is very respectful to the older hens and keeps the other chicks out of the way. He has so much personality and doesn’t bother me much he is so much different from my other roo at his age. When he is older he will help me start my egger program (this was going to happen anyway I was looking at a cream Legbar roo though). I have learned a lot and I’m excited for him to be older hopefully he keeps the girls in line they have been crazy since we culled the other one. There are some pictures of him with his sisters!

Attachments

• F916BE37-CD21-46C4-9A5E-0B92CF5FD8FD.jpeg
    F916BE37-CD21-46C4-9A5E-0B92CF5FD8FD.jpeg
    737.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 681F02A4-DB18-49FB-8D60-BF003F82B621.jpeg
    681F02A4-DB18-49FB-8D60-BF003F82B621.jpeg
    470.7 KB · Views: 10
  • CA44F576-F115-4A81-8862-9728D907D741.jpeg
    CA44F576-F115-4A81-8862-9728D907D741.jpeg
    395.2 KB · Views: 8
Name: Donut
Breed: Pekin x Rouen
Story: Donut, head high, watches his kingdom - population: 2 ducks. He is dedicated to protecting his domain. Once, when two intruders, other ducks, flew down, he chased them until they fled away, even when he tripped over his stubby orange legs and fell under the weight of his body (designed not for running but for... meat). He is not satisfied with occasional proclamations of allegiance, his girls must pay homage to him all. the. time. Supposedly, he does this since he had some embarrassing childhood memories such as getting snapped at bullseye in the face by an older female duck two times smaller than he was when he got too close. He and his 3 friends were also chased across a street, up a hill, and into a yard by single crested duck when they were teens. He is pretty cute and that's probably his only snag to becoming the king of the coop (he's the boss over the chickens as well). (but he still thinks that all he sees belongs to him)
IMG_4505.jpg

see also my profile picture!

Back
Top Bottom