Say hello to our little flock...

JD McGee

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
Duvall, WA
Just picked them up this morning...3 Buff Orpingtons and 3 Easter Eggers...
jumpy.gif
I converted Jakes old dog crate into a brooder...
cool.png

Hello Little Flock ! Do you have a thermometer to make sure it doesn't gt to hot in there for them ? I have had a problem with that before I just Thought in the Picture that your light looked a little close . Not Trying to be a busy body .. They Are Beautiful ! Congratulations

Last edited:
Thanks...I do have a digital thermometer that I have been checking the temps with under the lamp...right at 90 degrees. I noticed some ofthe chicks were near the lamp and some a little further away last night. I was planning to raise it up a few inches this weekend to lower the temp to 85...then 80 the next week. Am I close?
Thanks,
JD

As long as there is space for the chicks to get to a cooler area, yes, you're fine.

I have found that chicks do not need it uniformly hot/warm in the whole brooder, AND the temperature can be about 5 degrees cooler than recommended just about anywhere.

I use Brinsea EcoGlow brooder heaters, which means no heat lamps, so the chicks develop a natural day/night sleep cycle. They go under the EgoGlow to warm up and sleep, but dash around in the brooder with much cooler temps. If they get chilled, they snuggle under the ecoglow.

The chicks are two weeks old today...man...they sure grow quick!

I moved the brooder out to the garage. There was too much dust in the office being generated by the bedding...plus I like the pegboard for adjusting the height of the heat lamp...

Now...to get started on the coop!

Back
Top Bottom