Crowing
9 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Needville Texas
My Coop
My Coop
This morning after going into the coop I noticed this:
A5BFB0D5-8A9D-478E-9412-86D9B8EB145D.jpeg

I am going to assume this hen was attacked by a hawk. I flushed the entire area multiple times, then used some vetericyn on it, then put triple antibiotic ointment all over it.

here is the after treatment pic:
37044CC9-2523-4BA9-8DBF-560F04285F3A.jpeg

18DB8D2A-7D49-49ED-B120-71AAC1330AEB.jpeg

I obviously have her isolated in a cage without shavings, with food and water.
I know to continue applying the ointment and keeping it clean.

Is there anything else I should do for this wound right now?
Should I give her any antibiotic?
I know dog bites can leave lots of potential to get infected, however I have never had a chicken survive a hawk attack, so not sure about bacteria from hawks.
thanks for any help

Hi! She actually could have been attacked by another chicken or multiple chickens. Clean the wound twice a day with saline, then spray with bacitryn and slather with antibiotic ointment. Offer her sweetened water and keep her warm to help with shock and pain I had to use antibiotics when my cockerel got scalped by the big chickens. I used aqua mox, bought it on TSC site.

@MysteryChicken

Hi! She actually could have been attacked by another chicken or multiple chickens. Clean the wound twice a day with saline, then spray with bacitryn and slather with antibiotic ointment. Offer her sweetened water and keep her warm to help with shock and pain I had to use antibiotics when my cockerel got scalped by the big chickens. I used aqua mox, bought it on TSC site.

@MysteryChicken
True, however I keep seeing the hawks out hunting, so I assumed that’s what it was.
My flock is free range so it usually doesn’t get that violent between the girls!

If she had not been outside yet, I would assume that she was attacked by a rooster or other hens. Is she low in pecking order, or having problems walking differently or acting strange? Head wounds can occur with hawk and predator attacks, but are also common in flock attacks. She will eventually heal unless she has had brain damage, with continuous wound care and making sure that she is getting food and water. Let us know how she gets along, and post a picture once she heals. Good luck.

If she had not been outside yet, I would assume that she was attacked by a rooster or other hens. Is she low in pecking order, or having problems walking differently or acting strange? Head wounds can occur with hawk and predator attacks, but are also common in flock attacks. She will eventually heal unless she has had brain damage, with continuous wound care and making sure that she is getting food and water. Let us know how she gets along, and post a picture once she heals. Good luck.
She had been outside, I didn’t get out there today until at least 1 1/2 hour after the auto door opened.
I assume she had been out. Can’t be 100% positive though

Yes she is able to walk around. I will make sure she has eaten and had water in the morning. I cleaned her wounds then pretty much left her alone as she was in shock. She is not one to come to me for sure. The fact that I had her in my arms for close to 45 min today seemed to be enough for her today.
I figured if I went back to try to get some water down her throat she would likely panic and cause more damage

Back
Top Bottom