Scaly legs!!

CEO

Songster
Jun 14, 2021
One of our hens seems to have one foot that is very scaly and crusty with scales coming off. I’m assuming it’s scaly leg mites and will send pictures tommorow. Is treating for it an emergency or can it wait and should I treat whole flock?

I found an article about it but was wondering about the fastest and easiest treatment you guys would use.

If it is, it's easiest to just treat the ones with it. We use dettol on ours, don't be shy with it. It usually takes a few weeks to heal

How do you apply and how long?
Just with a paintbrush (bigger preferably) and just brush it onto the affected area. Wait 3 weeks and if not treated fully, repeat. Don't wash it off, you can just put the chicken back with the others after that

I have never tried what they have said, but I have heard others that do it that way. Personally have never had any issues with dettol harming chickens (it's an antibacterial product) and they don't consume it. I can see how some of the other stuff they mentioned can be harmful to the chickens however.
You can feel free to use anything they mentioned though, if you feel it works best for you 😊

I have never tried what they have said, but I have heard others that do it that way. Personally have never had any issues with dettol harming chickens (it's an antibacterial product) and they don't consume it. I can see how some of the other stuff they mentioned can be harmful to the chickens however.
You can feel free to use anything they mentioned though, if you feel it works best for you 😊
Her scales fell off revealing skin. It was lifted I scrubbed it and it came off. Is that normal?

I have never had it occur (as I do it a different way) but from what I just looked up, they will fall off after scaly leg mite, and new scales will grow back, you just need to make sure they are kept clean

I just found another site, that said not to pull the dead looking scales off, because the skin underneath is tender

If someone else has anymore info on this please give some more info...

Back
Top Bottom