Scaly Mites -Vaseline treatment method

millbrookfarm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 16, 2014
Oklahoma
I think a couple of my chickens have scaly mites or possibly dry skin. Either way I've decided to go the Vaseline treatment method. I have a question about this. Will the Vaseline method be dangerous in the cold weather? Thanks for your help.

I think a couple of my chickens have scaly mites or possibly dry skin. Either way I've decided to go the Vaseline treatment method. I have a question about this. Will the Vaseline method be dangerous in the cold weather? Thanks for your help.

Once the petroleum jelly wears off they'll just get re-infested. You are talking about raised scales on the legs and feet right? If so, there are a few things that need to be done depending on how bad the condition is on the legs and toes. I helped a guy who's chickens were in terrible shape. A brush with warm soapy water was used to clean off the crusty scales. Then I helped him treat with Nu-stock cut with Jojoba oil. You can use mineral oil too. There's sulfur, pine oil, and mineral oil in Nu-stock, but it is too pasty, which is why I cut it with more oil. The sulfur kills the microscopic mites carried by oil that must be massaged into the scales so it penetrates under scales (wear nitrile gloves). Treat twice a week.

To prevent re-infestation, use a good roost paint. Rabon 50 WP, Ravap EC, Atroban 11% EC are a that few that work well for a good roost paint. Emulsified concentrates have a longer residual. Just follow the label instructions and apply once a month to the top, sides, bottoms of roosts.

Last edited:
That's part of the problem. I see pictures on here of mites and feet just look terrible. My chickens don't look that bad. I can see the 'scales' on their feet because they are bordered in gray but none of the birds seem really affected.

I understand I need to do something more or they will get reinvested, but will putting the Vaseline on their feet make them prone to frostbite?

That's part of the problem. I see pictures on here of mites and feet just look terrible. My chickens don't look that bad. I can see the 'scales' on their feet because they are bordered in gray but none of the birds seem really affected.

I understand I need to do something more or they will get reinvested, but will putting the Vaseline on their feet make them prone to frostbite?
No the Vaseline won't cause frostbite. It is the opposite.Some people even put vaseline on the combs to "prevent" frostbite. The vaseline will actually prevent moisture from getting to their feet and legs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom