pwappers

Chirping
9 Years
May 12, 2010
So I earlier this year I had a hen pecker. She pecked the neck feathers off of two of my other birds before i was able to separate her for a while and fix the behavior. So now I have two birds with naked necks! i am concerned about them staying warm this winter (we are in Ohio with nice chilly winters). So I had this idea last night that I could crochet them little neck warmers. I know, it sounds silly, but it just might work. Anyone else ever done anything like this?

Yes, my neighbor crocheted a lovely turtleneck saddle for my Brahma hen that was getting her neck shaved regularly. While she looked smashing wearing the thing, she detested it, and it really didn't help the problem.
P1010005.JPG

That Brahma hen was a Houdini at getting out of every single saddle that I made for her, including that one she's wearing in the photo. She went to work on the yarn, teased a string loose, and then proceeded to unravel the entire garment.

There is a large brain inside that big Brahma head. Unfortunately, Joycie is no longer alive.

People tend to stress over chickens getting cold in the winter weather, and really it is not that big of deal. I had a leghorn molt once, nearly every feather fell off. I thought something had attacked inside the coop. She was nearly naked, it was cold, but she did fine. Grew feathers in fast, looked gorgeous.

You should be molting soon, and the feathers will grow back then.

So I earlier this year I had a hen pecker. She pecked the neck feathers off of two of my other birds before i was able to separate her for a while and fix the behavior. So now I have two birds with naked necks! i am concerned about them staying warm this winter (we are in Ohio with nice chilly winters). So I had this idea last night that I could crochet them little neck warmers. I know, it sounds silly, but it just might work. Anyone else ever done anything like this?
How old are the birds?
If over a year they should be molting soon.
Agrees, clothes for chickens are not a good idea.
Have had several birds go thru winter with bare backs, they were fine.
A bare neck is not as bad as a bare back, they can pull it into the other feathers.

How old are the birds?
If over a year they should be molting soon.
Agrees, clothes for chickens are not a good idea.
Have had several birds go thru winter with bare backs, they were fine.
A bare neck is not as bad as a bare back, they can pull it into the other feathers.
I know this is an old post, but here’s my question. My 3.5 week old chick was pecked badly around her neck which is red, irritated and blistered and without feathers. I have separated her out and am applying vetricyn a few times a day but she is now pecking at her wounds. Someone at TSC advised me to make a little scarf out of an old shirt. Is this crazy or will this help stop the self-pecking?!

Back
Top Bottom