Scratch feed impact on health?

andifrey

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 26, 2012
I have been raising hens for about 4 or 5 years now. I generally give them the best of everything I can afford. My girls are “working hens”. I need them to eat the dandelions from the yard, til up my garden beds in spring and fall and generally make sure not much food scraps goes to waste around here.

I notice when they free range the gardens I barely need to feed them (saves me money and work) and there’s no impact on their egg laying at all. But garden beds are in and they are back to run living until harvest. The one waste thing I was never able to effectively combat was soggy wet food. They won’t touch it and over and over I find myself scraping out the feeders. Hubby suggested only feeding scratch on the rainy days. Girls love it and it doesn’t get soggy. Last week after a 3 day rain I noticed no decrease in egg production but the sizes are much smaller. I asked the lady at the feed supply store store if I was hurting their health and she said most the Amish around here only feed scratch but she wouldn’t recommend that. I’d NEVER consider that. But that might explain why my hens are so much prettier than my neighbors.

I am all about balance at my place. I really don’t mind the occasional bout of smaller eggs during rainy periods. But I also do not want to be negatively impacting my chickens health either.
I’ll go back to feeding, cleaning and wasting feed if I think I am harming them. I know I need one of those fancy rain proof feeders. It’s been on the list $$$$

Does anyone have any resources on how the feed impacts health? Specifically if I’m just making an egg size trade off vs long term health?

I have been raising hens for about 4 or 5 years now. I generally give them the best of everything I can afford. My girls are “working hens”. I need them to eat the dandelions from the yard, til up my garden beds in spring and fall and generally make sure not much food scraps goes to waste around here.

I notice when they free range the gardens I barely need to feed them (saves me money and work) and there’s no impact on their egg laying at all. But garden beds are in and they are back to run living until harvest. The one waste thing I was never able to effectively combat was soggy wet food. They won’t touch it and over and over I find myself scraping out the feeders. Hubby suggested only feeding scratch on the rainy days. Girls love it and it doesn’t get soggy. Last week after a 3 day rain I noticed no decrease in egg production but the sizes are much smaller. I asked the lady at the feed supply store store if I was hurting their health and she said most the Amish around here only feed scratch but she wouldn’t recommend that. I’d NEVER consider that. But that might explain why my hens are so much prettier than my neighbors.

I am all about balance at my place. I really don’t mind the occasional bout of smaller eggs during rainy periods. But I also do not want to be negatively impacting my chickens health either.
I’ll go back to feeding, cleaning and wasting feed if I think I am harming them. I know I need one of those fancy rain proof feeders. It’s been on the list $$$$

Does anyone have any resources on how the feed impacts health? Specifically if I’m just making an egg size trade off vs long term health?
Feeding to much scratch can also result in overweight hens, & the risk of Fatty liver Disease. Scratch is mainly carbs/sugar, & Fat. It should only be given as an occasional treat.

You could buy a bag of whole grain feed. It costs a lot more, but it’s a balanced feed. Why is your feed getting wet though?
Thanks I will ask about this at the feed store. I wasn’t even aware there was such a thing. The price will likely be worth it if I’m only subbing it out when it’s rainy. As far as wet feed.....feeder and run is open. I did try one covered feeder ( a cheap one). But it clogged and broke and didn’t last long. I knew it was going to be an issue from the moment it came in the mail. At some point I will invest in a pricey good one. But right now I’m making do with what I have.

Feeding to much scratch can also result in overweight hens, & the risk of Fatty liver Disease. Scratch is mainly carbs/sugar, & Fat. It should only be given as an occasional treat.
Thanks that helps. Honestly I wouldn’t have expected it would make them overweight. I knew it was poorer nutrition and I assumed translated to underweight. But I guess they are more like me than I expected 😂. That’s what happened to me when I switched my own diet to Girl Scout cookies for a month.

Thanks I will ask about this at the feed store. I wasn’t even aware there was such a thing. The price will likely be worth it if I’m only subbing it out when it’s rainy. As far as wet feed.....feeder and run is open. I did try one covered feeder ( a cheap one). But it clogged and broke and didn’t last long. I knew it was going to be an issue from the moment it came in the mail. At some point I will invest in a pricey good one. But right now I’m making do with what I have.
I mix up my feed in shallow trays with ACV and water/or electrolytes in the summer. Soak overnight then pour it out or just leave it, they lick that clean! I always have one dry feeder available but they really prefer the wet mash.

Back
Top Bottom