Scratch vs Cracked corn

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
So, I've been giving my chickens Sprout scratch. I recently found out that the grain elevator I get my feed from sells cracked corn, so out of curiosity I bought a bag.
Is there really any difference between cracked corn and scratch? The cracked corn is only that - corn - while the scratch has a couple other grains in it. The corn is a little coarser size wise.
Knowing that scratch/cracked corn is not a compete feed and that is should be fed in moderation, does it matter which I feed? I usually only feed it in the winter in the morning and/or evening.

Last edited:
Any chick or chicken 2 weeks old or older can usually eat whole grain corn.

Whole corn is a much more complete or better feed than cracked corn.

That said I have mixed whole corn, scratch feed, oats, barley, milo, lay pellets, and dog food with a small amount of Calf Manor and fed it with good results.

Scratch is a blend of grains. Sometimes it's only oats and corn. Sometimes it's more grains than that. Sometimes the corn in it is not cracked. It depends who is selling the scratch. Corn is corn. You can buy it as cracked corn or whole corn.

Different grains have different nutrients profiles. I would think that having a mixed grain scratch would fill more of their needs then just corn, cracked or whole.

I'm wondering what a "mash" is...... I'm feeding my flock ( mixed aged layers, and a few roosters ) a grower feed, and also offer oyster shells free choice. I've noticed a few rough eggs shells in the last couple days, and am reading up on what is the cause. I've seen others post about feeding a layer mash or grower mash. Could someone please clarify what that means ?
Thank you!

Scratch grains and Cracked corn are not good for laying hens..Causes them to get fat and is of no nutritional value to a hen..It should only be fed at 5% of a chickens daily intake of food...Meaning a tablespoon per bird...Best to use on cold nights just before bed..Takes about 90 minutes to break down and heats up the hens....Use as a way to take a head count while free ranging...

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom