Sealing a crack in styrofoam bator lid. Any ideas ?

DDNONIN2016

Crowing
11 Years
Jan 27, 2012
SW Ohio
I was given an old styrobator that has been stored in a barn for who knows how long. It has the plexiglass viewing window on top and right beside the window there is a large crack in the styrofoam. Anyone know if I could use the clear silicone sealer like for aquariums or is there something better ?

sure,only on the outside of the lid, not the inside, clear or white exterior window chalk will do fine.
thumbsup.gif

Theres a link on the home made incubators threads i read a few weeks ago that had that info on it, man wish i could remeber it
idunno.gif
, but anyway you can go there,any maybe find it, it had pics. on the wiring of the com. fan, also go to you tube ,an seach for '' home made incubators'' i've videos on they of people hooking up the fan, heater and the lights.
big_smile.png

I would use Great Stuff they have a can that doesn't expand. On the label it says for widows and doors. That would work depending how big the crack is.
Thank you. I will check it out. The crack is about 6 inches long but the 2 edges still fit nicely together. The problem is the crack is right up to the plastic window which causes the window to bow up on one corner. I am either going to seal the crack or the window or both.

Gorilla glue works perfect on styrofoam. Use toothpicks or wooden skewers to hold your joint together. Any excess can be wiped off as it swells or can be cut off after it dries. The repaired joint is stronger than the styrofoam and will never break. Make sure you don't use a chemically "hot" adhesive as it will melt the styrofoam.

We built and crashed remote controlled airplanes made of styrofoam. We used gallons of Gorilla glue repairing them!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom