Sebright question

Could they all have broken the toe in the same place and it healed back that way?

I can't really remember if they had it right out of the shell or not.
I suppose it's possible, but I can't figure out how all three would have done that.

Were there other chicks in the incubator and brooder with them? If so, and if the other chicks did not have toes like this, it is even more unlikely that these three would get injured in exactly the same way but none of the others did.

I suppose it's possible, but I can't figure out how all three would have done that.

Were there other chicks in the incubator and brooder with them? If so, and if the other chicks did not have toes like this, it is even more unlikely that these three would get injured in exactly the same way but none of the others did.
Yes there other chicks and no they did not have the toe issues. The Sebrights where the worst off for the shrink-warping that happened due to me not getting the humidity up at hatching time. I had to help at lest two of them. Those two I had to make a chair like thing to keep them upright and their heads forward for about 24 to 36hrs till they could do it on their own. The hatch for them was pretty bad.

Yes there other chicks and no they did not have the toe issues. The Sebrights where the worst off for the shrink-warping that happened due to me not getting the humidity up at hatching time. I had to help at lest two of them. Those two I had to make a chair like thing to keep them upright and their heads forward for about 24 to 36hrs till they could do it on their own. The hatch for them was pretty bad.
Hmm. That would mean they have something in common that the others mostly didn't. If the toe was caused by something about the chairlike thing, for example, then the other chicks did not experience that. And if something about the shrink-wrapping or the helping was the cause of the toe issue, that is another thing they experienced that the others didn't (or not as much.)

Given the way a chick is curled up in the shell, I can see that if one chick has a toe problem from being shrink-wrapped, then other shrink-wrapped chicks might have the same issue with the exact same toe.

Yes, now I can definitely see why you are in doubt about whether the toe issue is genetic, or if it was caused by their trouble around hatching time. A test-hatch of eggs from them could help sort that out. I also wonder if their chicks would be more prone to shrink-wrapping than other chicks, or if that was a one-time thing.

Hmm. That would mean they have something in common that the others mostly didn't. If the toe was caused by something about the chairlike thing, for example, then the other chicks did not experience that. And if something about the shrink-wrapping or the helping was the cause of the toe issue, that is another thing they experienced that the others didn't (or not as much.)

Given the way a chick is curled up in the shell, I can see that if one chick has a toe problem from being shrink-wrapped, then other shrink-wrapped chicks might have the same issue with the exact same toe.

Yes, now I can definitely see why you are in doubt about whether the toe issue is genetic, or if it was caused by their trouble around hatching time. A test-hatch of eggs from them could help sort that out. I also wonder if their chicks would be more prone to shrink-wrapping than other chicks, or if that was a one-time thing.
I don't think they would be as it was a fault of my own w/ testing a new incubator. The next hatch I had in it I had no problems but I upped humidity to 50's and lock down I upped it again to 65%. No shrink-wrapping that time. So I believe I have the margins down on the incubator now and should have no problems.

I'll do a test hatch once they have been laying for a few months. They where hatched Halloween 2023. A test hatch should prove out the issues tho and make me feel better about them. I asked because I'm just worried because of some chatter on a genetics FB group that the Silver Sebrights are in poor genetic health.

Back
Top Bottom