Seeking advice for surprise Cornish cross

DrBee

Songster
6 Years
Oct 5, 2016
TX
On March 15 I brought home a dozen Spring chicks, for a broody hen. One of these chicks that I believed to be a buff orpy quickly reveled herself to be something else entirely. A little research convinced me she is a jumbo Cornish cross. I thought the most humane thing would be to give her to someone who would butcher her for meat. My husband is a softy, and said she doesn't appear distressed or in pain, and perhaps we let her run the natural course of life. I realize there is no "natural course" for a hen breed for other purposes. However, my hope was that because she is the only Cornish and all of her little sister chicks are very active, she might be leaner and stronger than other Cornish. (The other babies are Jersey giants, Orpingtons and Marans).
She does have bald patches of stretched skin. She is now 6 weeks old. I have not restricted food. She can run and does so throughout the day, but she also typically lies down much more frequently than the others. She is able to get herself up onto a chair or table 18 inches high.
Hubby and I have arrived at a "let her be, unless she appears to be suffering". However, I also recognize that we might be predisposed to misinterpret signs of suffering. Am I delusional to hope for her to have any quality of life?

On March 15 I brought home a dozen Spring chicks, for a broody hen. One of these chicks that I believed to be a buff orpy quickly reveled herself to be something else entirely. A little research convinced me she is a jumbo Cornish cross. I thought the most humane thing would be to give her to someone who would butcher her for meat. My husband is a softy, and said she doesn't appear distressed or in pain, and perhaps we let her run the natural course of life. I realize there is no "natural course" for a hen breed for other purposes. However, my hope was that because she is the only Cornish and all of her little sister chicks are very active, she might be leaner and stronger than other Cornish. (The other babies are Jersey giants, Orpingtons and Marans).
She does have bald patches of stretched skin. She is now 6 weeks old. I have not restricted food. She can run and does so throughout the day, but she also typically lies down much more frequently than the others. She is able to get herself up onto a chair or table 18 inches high.
Hubby and I have arrived at a "let her be, unless she appears to be suffering". However, I also recognize that we might be predisposed to misinterpret signs of suffering. Am I delusional to hope for her to have any quality of life?
She is having a good quality of life right now.
You can't really restrict her food unless you separate her from the rest of the flock as layers need access to eat as much food as they need daily. Separating her will stress her.
She may live for a year or more. She may develop leg and/or heart issues. She may just die one day. It appears you have already decided to take the wait and see approach so just wait... and see. Good luck with her!

She is having a good quality of life right now.
You can't really restrict her food unless you separate her from the rest of the flock as layers need access to eat as much food as they need daily. Separating her will stress her.
She may live for a year or more. She may develop leg and/or heart issues. She may just die one day. It appears you have already decided to take the wait and see approach so just wait... and see. Good luck with her!
Thank you Tonya. I just wanted to check my thinking, and wondered if others have been down this path.

read a few dozen posts on this topic, and you’ll find that they might live 1 year and die. You might consider another evaluation at “normal” processing time of 8 weeks, or late processing time of 12 weeks. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Sorry you got hit with this, it can be rough. I can imagine the size difference at 6 weeks. She's basically at butcher age.

One common cause of death is heart attack or stroke. They just get so big so fast their circulatory system can't manage. Quality of life probably isn't that bad when she goes that route. Another common problem is that their skeletal system can't keep up. They develop broken bones or dislocated joints. Probably some suffering goes along with that.

Some people managing them the way it sounds like you are have them last long enough to lay eggs. You may get lucky there, no way to know. But very few make it until the next laying season.

I see you are in Texas. They typically don't handle really hot weather very well. Plenty of water and shade.

Back
Top Bottom