Selecting USA silkie colors

Thijs

Chirping
Apr 17, 2020
Hi

I have european small silkies in buff color. love the color but they are not bearded and I also like more the usa silkie afro hair :)
I would like to find different colors of USA silkies but I have no clue what colors the baby chicks would have and which rooster to look out for.
I don't want the white color because white chickens just they get dirty fast. it isn't a pretty sight.

I like these colors:
- buff
- beige
- black
- platinium gray
- choco
- splash

If you get blue silkies, you could breed Blacks, Blues and Splash! Buff can be weird if you cross it with other colors. Plus BBS (black/blue/splash) are fairly common! Personally Splash is my favorite <3

(in case you dont know about BBS genetics; a black chicken is (BB) genetically, a blue chicken is (Bb) genetically, and splash is (bb). So for example if you got two blue chickens and bred them (Bb x Bb) you would get 25% blacks, 50% blues, and 25% splashes!)

so I should stick with fewer colors in your opinion? certainly not take a buff rooster?

where can I read up on basic genetics for chickens? I'm talking real easy explained as you did with above :)

Other colors are:

Partridge

Silver Partridge

Blue Partridge

Splash Partridge/Calico

Crele

Cuckoo

Columbian(Somewhat Rare)

Red Pyle(Project Color)

Mottled

Paint

Blue Cream

Lavender

Red

so I should stick with fewer colors in your opinion? certainly not take a buff rooster?

where can I read up on basic genetics for chickens? I'm talking real easy explained as you did with above :)
I guess that depends! How much space and how many birds do you want! And how many seperate pens do you want?

You could certainly do buff but I wouldn't mix it with other colors besides buff, unless you just want some fun random colors : D

And most chicken genetics aren't as easy unfortunately... Chocolate is a recessive gene (but it's also sex linked) for example, but if you breed chocolate to chocolate it'd never be an issue. Same with a color like partridge, partridge x partridge would almost always make more partridge (there's also blue partridge! Which can be bred just the same to a regular partridge, etc etc) I think a lot of people like black/blue/splash because of how simple it is, I personally just adore splashes and blues <3

Well I can only go for 1 pen with 6 silkies unless I get rid of my big chickens in the other one.

I just need to know what's the smart combination of colors in order to get as much variety of colors of little chicks out of them afterwards. so it might mean that I would have to give any red variety up like buff. I like blue black grey splash. I really dislike the cuckoo colors.

this is really nice (platinum) : http://www.alana-nay.be/images/IMG_8871 (2).JPG

Well I can only go for 1 pen with 6 silkies unless I get rid of my big chickens in the other one.

I just need to know what's the smart combination of colors in order to get as much variety of colors of little chicks out of them afterwards. so it might mean that I would have to give any red variety up like buff. I like blue black grey splash. I really dislike the cuckoo colors.

this is really nice (platinum) : http://www.alana-nay.be/images/IMG_8871 (2).JPG
I always use dominant white hens, I breed them to colored roosters, & they produce the partridge, for example.

I'm not super familiar with platinum, that might be genetically lavender? I'm not sure. If it is, Lavender is a recessive gene that operates on a black base, so theoretically that could probably be combined with a group of Black/Blue/Splash chickens without making anything too crazy!

Hi

I have european small silkies in buff color. love the color but they are not bearded and I also like more the usa silkie afro hair :)
I would like to find different colors of USA silkies but I have no clue what colors the baby chicks would have and which rooster to look out for.
I don't want the white color because white chickens just they get dirty fast. it isn't a pretty sight.

I like these colors:
- buff
- beige
- black
- platinium gray
- choco
- splash
I have a buff hen and a black roo they make the golden partridge color a really pretty chicken.

Back
Top Bottom