Selling extra eggs at the roadside... do you refrigerate them or not?

SeaChick

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Southern Maine
I usually have a couple dozen extra eggs each week, and have been putting them on a little table at the side of the road and selling them. It's been cool, so I have not worried about refrigeration.

Now that it's getting warmer, I'm wondering what to do. Clearly, a day at room temp makes no difference for fresh eggs. What if they've already been refrigerated? (They will have spent a day or two in the frdge prior to going out for sale.) Also - I'd like my "customers" to get the freshest eggs possible, and being warmer will shorten their shelf life.

On the other hand, a cooler just isn't as pretty and appealing as a pretty table! But maybe necessary.

What do you guys do?

Also- what are you charging? I was asking $4.00 for my free-range, organically-fed eggs but then I saw them for $5.00 at a local shop. Since mine have the added advantage of being multi-colored from my Easter Eggers, I raised my price. Too high?

You should check your state laws. In WA if I remember correctly they require refrigeration and new egg cartons- but I have never sold eggs - I just looked it up awhile back out of curiosity, so I don't really remember.

One lady down the road used to have a little refrigerator outside and a collection coffee tin inside the fridge where you put your money. That was before we got our own chickens.

Prices change depending on where you are, I sell mine for $3.75 and that's a little above the going price out here. Prices change greatly.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom