Senior Hens

Cccollins

Hatching
Mar 28, 2022
Hi. Wasn’t sure which category to put this under but has anyone every raised senior chickens? I have one girl nearing 11/12. She’s starting to slow down a good bit and isn’t very interested in the normal scratch grain and pellets. I’ve been trying to feed her lots of fresh fruits and greens but are there any other suggestions for supplements, etc? Some pictures attached of her as a baby and then just a few years ago

Attachments

• 593D7D55-4279-4240-95BB-108B68C42A62.jpeg
    593D7D55-4279-4240-95BB-108B68C42A62.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 9
  • A5266E82-FC32-43AB-962F-80AE75AB084E.jpeg
    A5266E82-FC32-43AB-962F-80AE75AB084E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Hi. Wasn’t sure which category to put this under but has anyone every raised senior chickens? I have one girl nearing 11/12. She’s starting to slow down a good bit and isn’t very interested in the normal scratch grain and pellets. I’ve been trying to feed her lots of fresh fruits and greens but are there any other suggestions for supplements, etc? Some pictures attached of her as a baby and then just a few years ago
Hello Cccollins.
Welcome to BYC.
Well done to you and your 11/12 year old. She's got a name right?
I've cared for a few hens in the age range you mention.
First question. Is she still laying eggs? If so how many a year and what condition are they in; elongated, soft shelled, thin shelled?

Has this hen free ranged even under supervision?
I ask this because if you've been feeding her scratch and layers pellets all her life then major changes in diet can cause problems. If she been out and about eating grubs and plants she should be able to eat just about anything you give her without problems.

What the chickens I've cared for like best, mature cheddar cheese (don't give much and cut it into small pieces. A half inch square cube cut up is plenty once or twice a week
Tinned haddock drained of whatever liquid is was packed in.
Cooked sardines.
Prawns.
Kefir or yogurt works for some chickens but not for all.
Chopped cabbage is popular if it's fresh and chopped.
Just about any kind of cooked meat works.
Walnuts chopped.
Grapes, but wine grapes rather than eaters if you can find them.

Back
Top Bottom