Serama chicks - what is the average weight at what age?

smoothmule

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 12, 2008
Buffalo, Missouri
Since I hatched out my first 2 Serama's, I've had a lot of questions come up. What I've read so far is that they mature younger than most, that you can get all different sizes and colors in a hatch and that you can't really tell how big they will mature until they are older.

How old so they have to be to determine whether they are A, B or C? Is there some place that has a chart for weights for them at certain ages?

My husband brought his digital scales in tonight. He zeroed them and looked at my chicks and said he didn't think they would work for these guys but they did and at 3 days old, they weigh 0.5 oz each. Is that average? heavy? smaller than average?

Its really hard to tell. I can tell by looking about what class they will be in as they grow.
I think that the soonest age you can tell (pretty closely) would be about 6 months or so, then expect them to maybe gain a little more. I never weigh them before that really. Some have growth spurts at different stages, so Ill have some 6 weeks old that are way bigger and some that are small. Then they will catch up, some staying the biggest, and some really not growing much after 4 months.

I have tons of chicks here at all ages. If I have time and think about it, Ill get an average of weights with ages for you.

I hatched my first Seramas Oct. 31 2012. I have tried to find the same information you are looking for. I could not find it anywhere. I started keeping track of my babies weights from hatch date and then every week after (I have had two clutches so far). I do not know if mine are normal wieght or not. I will see if I can post my chart. (I can also send chart to you via e-mail if you have problems viewing it). Anyone with further info please let me know. I cannot possibly be the only one tracking weight of their Seramas!

Back
Top Bottom