Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Have one new baby serama, but the other remaining egg pipped into a blood vessle:hit

Waiting on the other eggs, but it looks like I'll have 2 more serama cross chicks by tonight.

The new baby seems to be black and has a very good chance of being silkied. The chick is still very wet so I'll take pictures when its a bit more fluffed up

Is the chick that pipped a vein still alive? I would I imagine they might live through that, but it seems like you are having a terrible time of it with rotten eggs and such!

I am glad you hatched another Serama and I hope your mixed chicks make it!

I have my hens 3 eggs in the incubator, one chick is out the other two should be by tomorrow.

They look just like the first three chicks... mottled. One of the first chicks is starting to look like it has straight feathers and so I suspect they all will. At least they are half silkied and not related to my roo!

My first three are doing okay but a couple, one in particular is smaller than the others. It is just struggling a bit. I am contemplating if I could put all six chicks under the two mamas.

I have taken a two week old chick that was very small and put it under a mama with newly hatched chicks and they all did well. I think I just need to wait till the new ones are all hatched and then put the older ones under the hens at night. We'll see.

Last night I was having a terrible egg/chick dream and finally woke up to one of those chicks cheeping loudly, poor thing!

Is the chick that pipped a vein still alive? I would I imagine they might live through that, but it seems like you are having a terrible time of it with rotten eggs and such!

I am glad you hatched another Serama and I hope your mixed chicks make it!

The one who pipped a vein didn't make it. All the eggs this hatch had bad air cells, so I'm kinda glad I got any.

(note to self stop trying to hatch shipped serama eggs! it's just asking for heartache)

I have to say the mixed chicks hatch much better.

The one who pipped a vein didn't make it. All the eggs this hatch had bad air cells, so I'm kinda glad I got any.

(note to self stop trying to hatch shipped serama eggs! it's just asking for heartache)

Bummer :( I am curious about the EEs mixed with Seramas and how the egg color gets passed down. It is interesting and a cool experiment!

The way I understand it. The gene for blue is an incomplete dominant, so only one gene is needed for colored eggs, but you will have better saturation with two.
As far as size goes, it's kinda hard to tell what I'll get cause my oldest bird is only around 2 months. He seems to be only slightly smaller than a normal bantam, but the pullet is seemingly more serama sized. we'll see how they grow out.

Sorry to hear you've had such bad luck with these eggs. :(

my new serama

Back
Top Bottom