Seramas as meat birds

Croamagna

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 21, 2013
The Republic of Texas
I know it seems strange that the world's smallest chicken would be considered as a meat bird but here is my idea. I would compare them to a quail. The main difference being that seramas breed like rabbits without help of an incubator. So a flock of small delicacy birds that would be hardier in my experience as well as being able to raise their own chicks. My only question is has anyone actually eaten one? Are they edible or is there enough meat to make it worth it? With the pronounced breast muscles it would seem that with a little selective breeding it might be fairly easy to develope a meat serama flock especially using the ones that hatch out to big for serama standards.

Well silkies, which aren't much bigger, are a big hit as a meat bird in some communities.
I always say that if a raccoon can find meat on one, so can I.

Meat quality, not just quantity, is another consideration.

Last edited:
That's why I wondered if anyone had tried one before. If it is on par with quail than it would be worth it. If it's too tough as they mature very early or just plain doesn't taste good than no go.

If they mature early, the meat will be less tough. Cooking procedure will alleviate some problems.

I only know one person that had seramas and I think they died of old age so she didn't eat them.
I'm sure if you search on here you'll find serama breeders that eat extra cockerels and can answer this question.

I know it seems strange that the world's smallest chicken would be considered as a meat bird but here is my idea. I would compare them to a quail. The main difference being that seramas breed like rabbits without help of an incubator. So a flock of small delicacy birds that would be hardier in my experience as well as being able to raise their own chicks. My only question is has anyone actually eaten one? Are they edible or is there enough meat to make it worth it? With the pronounced breast muscles it would seem that with a little selective breeding it might be fairly easy to develope a meat serama flock especially using the ones that hatch out to big for serama standards.

That's why I wondered if anyone had tried one before. If it is on par with quail than it would be worth it. If it's too tough as they mature very early or just plain doesn't taste good than no go.
Just go with Jumbo coturnix. They're fully grown and laying at 8 weeks.

Just go with Jumbo coturnix. They're fully grown and laying at 8 weeks.
I know this is an older thread but I hope someone is still checking on it 😂
I keep coturnix for eggs but hate the taste of the meat. I’ve had it a million ways but hate it so much. I’m wondering the same thing as OP - what do seramas taste like? Do they taste more like cornish game hens?
I’m having a problem finding hens in my area - just hatching eggs. I’m not one to keep animals around that don’t serve a purpose so extras roos would be culled.

Back
Top Bottom