Seriously infected bumblefoot surgery, toes might be dying!

blueberrychickens

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Hudson, MA
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)2 yr old GLW, no apparant weight loss (she was broody too)

2) What is the behavior, exactly. had a bumblefoot surgery get very infected

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2+ weeks

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. foot is very swollen, infected, skin is peeling off & possibly a dead toe

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.bumblefoot surgery that got infected

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.eats & drinks normal

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?separated from flock, daily cleaning of foot w/ soapy h2o, betadine, antibiotic ointment

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? would really like to avoid going to the vet, $$ concern. Treat at home if possible.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. nothing current

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use pine bedding, was on newspaper in dog crate, now switched over to hay.

I have been battling a bumblefoot outbreak w/ a few hens. This one girl I did the surgery on her foot a few weeks ago & it has become severly infected. I have tried every trick in the book but haven't given her any antibiotics since in the state of Massachusetts, it is very hard to get a needle & syringe. (I did manage to get some penicillin in NH, but still unable to get the needle & syringe) Last night while cleaning her foot, the smell is awful. I think one of her toes is dead now as it is cold & turning black. The bottom of her foot it turning black too. There is no pus or drainage, but the foot is very inflammed. She only puts her foot down if she absolutely has too. She is bright eyed, eats & drinks ok. She would much rather be out foraging with the flock but I keep her in a dog crate for her own safety. She hasn't layed eggs since who knows when as she was broody when all this started. I would hate to have to cull her if there is a chance that she can get better. Is there anything else I can do for this poor girl? Would the dead toe eventually just fall off? (like frostbitten toes would?)
My DH has somehow managed to get needles & syringes shipped here, but IDK when they will arrive. I fear that if I bring her to the vet, they will want to do some expensive surgery on her foot that I just can not afford at this time.

Is there anything else I can do??this pic is from a couple weeks ago, I'll try to get a better pic today. You can see her LEFT foot is the problem foot.

Birds do not produce runny pus like mammals, so the wound will not drain. The "pus" in birds is more of a soft cheese consistency and you need to dig it out of the wound area before it can heal. All of that fat bump on your hen's foot is full of cheesy pus that needs to be removed.

I read about this on a BYC thread with photos that takes you through the procedure. Will search for it and post back if I find it. Otherwise, try a general google search about removing pus or infected material in birds.

http://www.chickenchatter.org/view_topic.php?id=3509&forum_id=12&page=1

<<<<BUMBLEFOOT INFORMATION>>>>
bumblefoot is often caused by birds always roosting on the same size roost, so their feet start to conform to it and the muscle in the middle of the foot contracts and start to harden. So if you vary the diameter and/or texture of their roost, it helps to prevent bumblefoot. I used to work with raptors and it was always something we had to keep under control - since raptors rarely walk on the ground, they are much more likely to get bumblefoot than chickens, who at least stretch the muscles in their feet when walking. We had to constantly switch out their roosts and also we worked a lot with finding different textures, so that they had to hold on differently. We wrapped roosts in rope, twisted cloth, anything we could find that would create a different surface. We had one owl that just refused to use any roost other than his main one and he got bumblefoot, we took the roost out and he got so pissy and mad that no one could get near him. So we just started switching roosts trying to find something he would like - and it ended up that he wanted to roost on a log covered in fake grass. Not the short plastic stuff like astroturf, but the longer stuff that is supposed to look like real grass. Crazy bird.

Two items I have in my injury/illness book....hope something is helpful :)

Found it! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/236649/bumblefoot-surgery-with-pics-and-how-to

Got it bookmarked now because I have referred people to it before, but have to say I've never had to deal with the problem myself, but I would choose to follow this advice if I did!

Good luck!
frow.gif

Hi, I am treating two birds with bumblefoot and from what I have read if it is a bad case the soaking of the foot and washing has to be done daily for the first 5 days and then every 2 days. I have heard it can be tricky to rid of as the bacteria causing this does not need air to survive. I am using furacin at the moment to good effect, it's the yellow cream for horses it has antibacterial properties and I believe there's antibiotics too. It may be worth having the bird in a cage on soft bedding which is kept really clean to help stop any dirt build up. I think it can also be transmitted from bird to bird, ie if one of the others has a small cut or abrasion in the foot the bacteria causing bumblefoot can get in, that's how my ones got it. I will be disinfecting the coop and run with a large sprayer to get rid of any staph bacteria laying around. Hydrogen peroxide solution to wash it with will help too, it bubbles on contact with infection. Some people also use a mixture of sugar and betadine on the bumblefoot. The sugar helps draw out the infection while the betadine dries it out. I can't think of anything else that might be of use if I do I will post it. Good luck and hope this helps a bit.

More info I found! Great news on finding that thread wishing4wings!!!! DERP-HEADS RULE!!! :D

Read through the first post of the link I put above. Penicillin will not help your hen if the wound has not been completely cleaned out.

Also, do not use neosporin with pain reliever added. Chemicals with "caine" as part of the name can harm chickens.

Back
Top Bottom