Set my incubator temp too high - Guinea eggs

MistyNH

Hatching
May 21, 2024
Hey all. It’s my first time incubating in a Nurture Right 360. I have Guinea eggs in there and watched a video that used the same incubator and they set it to 101.5° and kept it around 55% humidity and the keets hatched. He said it was a still air incubator but I realize it’s actually a forced air and my temp has been too high. Should I adjust it down now or leave it as is? This is the 5th day in the incubator. I’ve been told they may just hatch early with the higher temp. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6082.jpeg
    IMG_6082.jpeg
    385.9 KB · Views: 20
I’ve had an incubator that heated a degree higher than it was set at & the hatch was 2 days earlier than it was supposed to be. The hatching rate was still high.

I would definitely look into getting a separate thermometer and hygrometer for the inside & calibrating it. There are a few informative threads on the process.

I’ve had an incubator that heated a degree higher than it was set at & the hatch was 2 days earlier than it was supposed to be. The hatching rate was still high.

I would definitely look into getting a separate thermometer and hygrometer for the inside & calibrating it. There are a few informative threads on the process.
Ok, thank you.

Have you measured the temps with a calibrated thermometer?

For forced air, I'd set to 99.5 degrees.
Would it be wise to change the temp after it’s been this way for almost a week? I’m going to look into the thermometer. Thanks.

Very wise. If the temperature is actually what you think it is. The longer the temperature is not ideal (99.5/37.5) the more problems it creates.
And while neither are good in any way, being high is much worse. An embryo can handle occasional dips but anything approaching 104 is deadly.
Without a known accurate thermometer, you could think you are at 101 which is too high, you could be closer to the imminent death stage.

This article has information gleaned from multiple sources regarding temperature effects on embryos. Most of it is about cold injury but there is enough to show how detrimental the effects of improper temperature may be.
https://www.brinsea.com/t-PowerOff.aspx

The closer to ideal, the healthier the resulting birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom