Severe Head Injury

Nbentl01

Hatching
May 3, 2019
I work at a group home and we have started raising chickens. We have 5 girls who are 1 year old and 5 unsexed chicks around 13 weeks old. 2 of the chicks are Cornish hens. The other caretaker of the chickens (myself and a fellow employee take care of the chickens) tried to introduce the 2 Cornish hens into the flock as they have very much outgrown the enclosure we have the chicks in. He said it went fairly well when he saw on the one of the Cornish hens get pecked on the head. He quickly took the chicks back out and stopped the flow of blood. He also put her in her own separate enclosure. I just went to check on her as I have been off campus all day and was horrified to find a nickel size hole in her skull! I can see her brain The other caretaker had no idea it was this bad as he couldn't see the severity of it due to the blood loss. Bo is eating and drinking and walking and "talking" and doesn't seem to be very affected by the Injury. She let me hold her and she fell asleep on my lap. She is no longer bleeding thanks to the powder. What else can we do besides keep her separated and fed?

Attachments

• 20190503_222950.jpg
    20190503_222950.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190503_222654.jpg
    20190503_222654.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 18
I have somehow never collected any helpful notes for this kind of injury, though I've got everything else from antibiotics to helping shrink-wrapped chicks finish zipping out of an egg... :rolleyes:

All I have been able to find online so far is a few suggestions: first one is getting a prescription of prednizone from a vet, and supplementing the injured bird with vitamin E and B complex, with a bit of added selenium to help with absorption. That wasn't specifically for this type of injury, though, so take it with a grain of salt. Another site, specifically talking about Silkies and other domed-head birds who are more apt to get serious brain injuries, suggests one shot of a corticosteroid, with supportive care, which will require a vet, as well:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/head-injury
:confused::caf:idunno
Perhaps someone else has more helpful information.

Sorry about your chick. If the brain was indeed exposed, it will probably die of infection. But some chickens have survived some severe pecking wounds on the head. I would offer food and water, and supportive care and hope for the best. I would apply betadine to the wound, and then some plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment on the wound twice a day.

It is day 2 and she is still alive. She is still eating, walking, and talking. There is a clear fluid leaking from the wound. ‍♀️ I'm using antibiotic ointment on it and hoping for the best.

That is very good news. Hopefully the clear fluid is just serum from the wound. I really hope she gets along well. Time will tell, but it sounds hopeful so far. Keep us updated.

That is very good news. Hopefully the clear fluid is just serum from the wound. I really hope she gets along well. Time will tell, but it sounds hopeful so far. Keep us updated.

Day 4 and she is still going. Haven't looked closely at the wound since Friday, but have kept ointment on it and a blend of essential oils. I've had to fill up her food and water twice so she is eating and drinking pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom