Sex ID?

GoldieOrpington

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Seattle, WA
We are raising our second group of 4 chicks. They’re almost 6 weeks old now and I’m wondering if we have any roos.

#1 is a Gold Sexlink. Personality is brave but not aggressive. She’s always the first to approach when we come around. IMG_4390.jpeg
IMG_4425.jpeg IMG_4388.jpeg

#2 is an unknown breed (maybe a mutt?). She didn’t match any of the store’s breeds they had. She is the most aggressive to the other chicks.

IMG_4427.jpeg
IMG_4399.jpeg IMG_4398.jpeg

#3 is a Barnevelder. She’s extremely shy and skittish. I can barely get near enough to get a photo.
IMG_4415.jpeg IMG_4402.jpeg IMG_4422.jpeg

And #4 is a Barred Rock. She’s pretty middle of the pack in personality.
IMG_4393.jpeg
IMG_4392.jpeg IMG_4408.jpeg

If #1 is a Gold Sex Link then it has to be a girl because of the color. But I'm not convinced it is a sex link. That comb is pretty prominent for six weeks, I think I can see wattles developing, and the legs look pretty thick. Those are signs of a boy. The posture is sort of bent over instead of standing tall and upright, which is a sign of a girl. Boys are often curious and friendly.

I can see wattles on #2. The comb in that third photo is suspicious. The legs don't look that thick. In some photos the posture is upright, in another not so much. I lean toward it being a boy but I'm not sure.

#3's legs are a bit thick but I think, comb, no wattles, posture, and body conformation say girl.

With the comb, wattles, thick legs, and upright posture I think #4 is a boy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom