Sex- linked Information

Can a pure Wheaten Ameraucana rooster (not an easter egger) be crossed with silver Wyandotte hens to create sex links? If yes, how will the male and female chicks look when they hatch? Thank you.

From Tim's first post, looks like they can....

2. Crossing a Group 1 male with any Group 2A or 2B female produces the effective expression of gold or silver in the offspring. This cross produces chicks with a pseudo-wild type down with gold or silver expression in the non-striped areas of the down. See Illustration 2

Q 3 Can I use any kind of sex linked hen or sex linked rooster ( black sex linked or red sex linked) to produce sex linked chicks?

A. The best answer is no but there is an exception a non-barred and non-dominant white red sex linked male can be used in a black sex linked cross.

In this case will a red sex link male(blue wheaten ameraucana X silver laced barnevelder), be a candidate for a black sexlink cross like crossed with a cuckoo maran hen.

Q 3 Can I use any kind of sex linked hen or sex linked rooster ( black sex linked or red sex linked) to produce sex linked chicks?

A. The best answer is no but there is an exception a non-barred and non-dominant white red sex linked male can be used in a black sex linked cross.

In this case will a red sex link male(blue wheaten ameraucana X silver laced barnevelder), be a candidate for a black sexlink cross like crossed with a cuckoo maran hen.

Yes, that should work for getting a BSL.

did you breed the blue Ameraucana with the silver laced barnevelder to create your own sex links, or did you buy them. I'm just curious to find out how easy or difficult it will be to determine males from females when I cross my Wheaten Ameraucana with my silver laced hens.

I have not crossed these breeds. I was interested in an olive egger experiment.

Blue egger x Dark Brown egger = Olive Egger(F1)
Blue Wheaten Ameraucana Sliver laced Barnevelder Red sex link

then

F1 Olive egger x Dark Brown egger = olive egger(F2)
Red Sex link male Cuckoo Maran Black Sex link

last

F1 olive egger x F2 olive egger= Offspring should lay eggs of all colors! this was on another post THE OLIVE EGGER THREAD.

I was thinking of breeds I could use to do this with sex links. so F1 are red sex links and F2 are black sex links and you save time and money sexing chicks at hatch

Am I correct in thinking that my BCM rooster over my Bielefelder hens will create black sex-linked chicks? Also, is it possible to breed the offspring selectively until they are fully autosexing, like Bielefelders? If so, how would this be achieved? What traits in the offspring would I need to select for?

Am I correct in thinking that my BCM rooster over my Bielefelder hens will create black sex-linked chicks? Also, is it possible to breed the offspring selectively until they are fully autosexing, like Bielefelders? If so, how would this be achieved? What traits in the offspring would I need to select for?
Yes, you will get black sexlinks. The black pullets are not useful for working toward an autosexing strain, but the cockerel could be bred back to the biel hens. Some intensive selection over a few generations would get you to a true autosexing chicken. If you are doing this for fun and learning, it would make a great project. If you are trying to create an autosexing dark egg layer, you would do much better to get one of these breeds that already does that:
Golden Cuckoo Marans - Crele colored, autosexing Marans
Welbars - Crele Welsummer, fully autosexing

Perhaps this article will help answer your questions:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2012/08/26/gms9-autosexing-recipe/amp/

lays out the process of creating an autosexing chicken pretty thoroughly and i found it very informative.

Back
Top Bottom