Sex- linked Information

I have a Wyandotte rooster (gold laced). And 1 Wyandotte Hen also Gold laced. All my other girls are white rock, and Red Comets. I have raised 2 hatches of chicks, And for the life of me cannot tell roos from pullets until they are reaching about 3 or 4 months. Should I be looking for coloration in these fellows or is it just a wait and see. I sell my little roos as well as pullets so will not cull the little hummers. I would just like to know if there is a way of doing it sooner. I hear vent sexing can be harmful if you are not experienced. So I have never tried it. Any help with Wyandotte comet cross, as well as white rock Wyandotte cross. I know the egg and mark the one from my two Wyandotte breeding and I mark them each hatch. So far I have 1 female and 1 roo from this pair, but couldn't tell until 3 months old.

The Comets and GLW, no way. The genetics are not right.

The White Rocks are iffy. If you check Tadkerson’s first post in this thread he mentions that solid white birds are often not a good choice to make red sex links. There are different ways to make solid white, you don’t know what might be hiding under that white, and you don’t know if Silver is there or not. You can try the WR and it might work great or it may not work at all. There is no way to know until you try it.

I agree that the Wyandottes may be tricky, but I can usually see a difference in the combs by 3 or 4 weeks, not months. Male's combs are redder and wider. Wattles are also redder and more developed. If your white rocks are recessive white over barred rock. (and a majority are) Their chicks will be black and the males will probably have the white head spot. I say "usually" and "probably".

Could a Barred Female crossed with a blue Ameraucana create blue offspring?

Only one bantam barred rock in a pen of pure bantam BBS Ameraucanas.. How would that create a blueish chick out of a brown egg?

Could a Barred Female crossed with a blue Ameraucana create blue offspring?

Only one bantam barred rock in a pen of pure bantam BBS Ameraucanas.. How would that create a blueish chick out of a brown egg?

Yes- blue rooster over a barred hen will give:

All cockerels barred. All pullets non- barred.

Half of the cockerels will be blue barred, half black barred.

Pullets would be half blue, half black.

Last edited:
Yes- blue rooster over a barred hen will give:

All cockerels barred. All pullets non- barred.

Half of the cockerels will be blue barred, half black barred.

Pullets would be half blue, half black.
celebrate.gif

Thank you!

So pullet:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom