sex-linking or hybrids

chicken fever

Songster
7 Years
Jan 30, 2012
dallas, tx
I am new to breeding and am wanting to do some experimenting. I am breeding my blue ribbon barred rock roo with my brown red americauna hen and then also my splash americauna rooster to my black jersey giant. i am wondering if anyone knows what I may get out of these combos.

It isn't the breed that counts, considering so many breeds come in so many colors - It is the color.

Barred hen x non-barred rooster = sex-linked offspring.

Silver based hen x non-silver or golden rooster = sex-linked offspring.

Silver based colors include silver penciled, silver laced, birchen, silver duckwing, most blues, most blacks, salmon from faverolles, to name a few.

Golden male colors included colors like Golden Duckwing, found on EE's, Araucanas, Pheonixes, Dorkings, Gamefowl, to name a few.

Splash Ameraucana x Black JG = 100% blue Easter Eggers

Barred Rock x Brown Red Ameraucana (if truly such) = 100% barred or cuckoo, depending on Rock's quality, birds with tiny amounts of orange leakage.

OR what are the KNOWN breeds to make sex-linked chicks?
Welcome chicken fever
welcome-byc.gif

One of the first commercial sex-links and still a perrenial favorite is mating a Light Sussex ( silver-based bird) with a Rhode Island Red. (Red-based bird) The chicks are sex-linked by color.
woot.gif
For my money tho, don't use the Australian Light Sussex (many have been crossed with Coronation Sussex). Use an American line like Ron Dinger, or try below and explain you're seeking pure US lines which are pure Light Sussex and not mixed with coronation Sussex. ( coronation Sussex carry a bluish gene and that will mess up your sex-linking for color). Explain you want to create a quality strain sex-linked for color.
Cumberland View Farm
*Jim Bell/Preservationist for hbpaa, a heritage fowl socity.
[email protected]

2937 Highway 33 South
New Tazewell, TN 27825
NPIP # 352

Breeds:
White Faced Black Spanish, & Light Sussex

. There is lot written on the Net about this decades-old favorite cross. the ease of raising, the hybrid vigor and great performance in egg laying and as a meat chicken. here is a hot link to an article from Britian about them:
http://www.jpsducks.co.uk/our-chickens/rir-x-light-sussex
Best Regards,
Karen Tewart
Waterford Sussex and Marans
in western PA

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom