Sex Links

I Love Layers

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 25, 2015
I am going to have a 100 bird laying flock, and I am looking for some more ways to make money out of them. So I thought why not sell some chicks out of them every spring. People out here will be way more inclined to buy if I could gurantee pullets, and I know people who would buy the cockerels. The breed I want to have over the hens would be a Rhode Island, but my hens would be White Californians, would this still work or would I need to have White Leghorns instead?

White Leghorns will not work to make sex links. I'm not that familiar with California Whites but from a quick look they should not work for sex links either. Besides, both have Leghorn in them which means small bodies not very suitable for meat. The person buying the cockerels may not be happy.

If you read the first post in this thread you will see charts that tell you which hens will make sex links with a RIR rooster. I suggest you pick hens from the right side of the first two charts to make sex links.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

I am going to have a 100 bird laying flock, and I am looking for some more ways to make money out of them. So I thought why not sell some chicks out of them every spring. People out here will be way more inclined to buy if I could gurantee pullets, and I know people who would buy the cockerels. The breed I want to have over the hens would be a Rhode Island, but my hens would be White Californians, would this still work or would I need to have White Leghorns instead?
The ONLY way you can make a sex link cross out of this is to cross your White Californian hens is with a Fibromelanotic Rooster, I would go with something more productive than Silkies, I would go with a Svart Hona rooster over them

From the Svart Hona page here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-svart-hona-swedish-black-hen-thread.806031/
The Svart Hona are a small chickens, although not considered bantams. Svart Honas weigh between 5-7.5 pounds and the hens are excellent layers of off-white eggs. For the size of the hen, the eggs are extraordinarily large often almost as big as some of my Large Fowl Orpington eggs

The outcome of that cross will be Pullets with black body skin and cockerels with white body skin, the hens will be prolific white egg layers

The ONLY way you can make a sex link cross out of this is to cross your White Californian hens is with a Fibromelanotic Rooster, I would go with something more productive than Silkies, I would go with a Svart Hona rooster over them

From the Svart Hona page here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-svart-hona-swedish-black-hen-thread.806031/
The Svart Hona are a small chickens, although not considered bantams. Svart Honas weigh between 5-7.5 pounds and the hens are excellent layers of off-white eggs. For the size of the hen, the eggs are extraordinarily large often almost as big as some of my Large Fowl Orpington eggs

The outcome of that cross will be Pullets with black body skin and cockerels with white body skin, the hens will be prolific white egg layers
Thank you! I have had Svart Hona crosses before and loved them! Very good layers and good perky birds!

Back
Top Bottom