Sexing Americaunas (I was told I had all girls)

sattoritx

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
Waco, TX
I have 2 Americaunas that have different colored combs, one is a yellow like all my other chicks, and one has a dark blackish looking comb that is flatter but they are only 4-5 weeks old. (wish i could post pics may have 2 figure that 1 out tomorrow)
We estimate the Americaunas and the GL Wyandotte to be approx a week older cause they are much larger and have more feathers than our sexlinks. The one in question is a feisty fast little bugger we named speedy, cause we ALL have a hard time catching her/ (him?)

Well my first comment is that they're not Ameraucanas but actually crossbred "Easter Eggers."
wink.png

Next is, what color are they? Often Easter Eggers are easy to sex based on color. Another thing is, yeah, the really red combs compared to the smaller ones are often cockerels, but with Easter Eggers I usually sex by color. In true Ameraucanas though - The bigger, pinker comb is what tells the sex, and usually pops up at 5 weeks of age.

Quote:
Can you tell me how to sex the Easter Eggers by color? I have seen this posted a couple of times but nobody has been able to explain it to me and it sure would be helpful as EEs appear to be impossible to vent sex and the roos don't show obvious male characteristics until 8 to 10 weeks. I've also studied the chicken genetics books and don't see anything about any of the "long crowers" (South American birds) as having any differences in color genetics.

They are black and grey, the one with the yellow comb has a whiter face and white on the ends of the ends of the wings.
The one in question has very little white on it at all. My mom bought them and said she paid more to have them sexed.

Quote:
Can you tell me how to sex the Easter Eggers by color? I have seen this posted a couple of times but nobody has been able to explain it to me and it sure would be helpful as EEs appear to be impossible to vent sex and the roos don't show obvious male characteristics until 8 to 10 weeks. I've also studied the chicken genetics books and don't see anything about any of the "long crowers" (South American birds) as having any differences in color genetics.

It's only in the common gold duckwing/bbr based colors, really. As young chicks with down, both are chipmunks or marbled in looks, but the males are often really pale. As they grow up, the males have a lot of white and black or red and black, the females always have a black/brown barred type look with a brown head. They vary though.
smile.png

With other colors like White, you just gotta wait 4-5 weeks.

Either way, a pic will help at this age.

Cool as soon as I get my netbook back from the shop (need that SD card reader) I will post some pics. We knew of course having a roo in the bunch was a possibility. I dont mind having a roo (neighbors got a couple) but we are looking to buy a home in the next year and didnt really want to upset any neighbors before we got settled in. LOL

Quote:

It's only in the common gold duckwing/bbr based colors, really. As young chicks with down, both are chipmunks or marbled in looks, but the males are often really pale. As they grow up, the males have a lot of white and black or red and black, the females always have a black/brown barred type look with a brown head. They vary though.
smile.png

With other colors like White, you just gotta wait 4-5 weeks.

Either way, a pic will help at this age.

Oh, ok. So it is like the Partridge pattern with other breeds (well I guess BBR is Partridge), a distinct pattern with sharp black edges means pullet and a muddled pattern means cockerel. Do you know the percentage of accuracy? I am producing some Duckwings but mostly solid colors, so it is wait and see for them.

Last edited:
Quote:
Okay, I'm game here. Tell me your secrets. How do you tell EEs by color? And Ameraucanas? I have 4 Americaucana girls from a breeder who still have no visible combs at 6 weeks. (They are pretty things!)

I'd like to know why people keep calling Americaunas EE's?
I would assume that EE's are the mutt's of the chicken world?

Quote:
There's no "i" in Ameraucana. If you got them from a hatchery, then they are EE's. If they have green legs, they're EE. To get a pure Ameraucana, you have to get them from a breeder. EE's are a cross breed that has some Ameraucana or Araucana in them. There's nothing wrong with EE's, I love my EE, but they are not pure Ameraucana's. I also have pure Ameraucana's.

ETA: This is a "heated" issue as the hatcheries are misrepresenting to people what they are getting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom