Sexing Brown Leghorns Chicks!

HappyHippyChick

Songster
Feb 24, 2023
I am wondering if a person can sex brown leghorn chicks. I used to have Old English bantams (bbred or wild type) and there was a way to check the markings near the eyes, when they were babies, that it was a pullet or cockerel. I have totally forgotten how to do it and/ or can it be done? I'm looking for a cockerel brown leghorn at the store but they are straight run. Thanks for any help.

It's never been real reliable for me because there's too many that are kind of in the middle but it's said a female will have a well defined eye stripe that goes all the way back and males have a much shorter one that has kind of faded edges.
I've also looked at the dorsal stripes. Males tend to have outer stripes that are brownish like the wide middle one. Females have the same but with a dark edge on the outer ones. Almost like males have two colors and females have three.
If you're eyeballing a batch you'll probably see what I mean. Just look for one drastically looking more towards what I described as male characteristics

It's never been real reliable for me because there's too many that are kind of in the middle but it's said a female will have a well defined eye stripe that goes all the way back and males have a much shorter one that has kind of faded edges.
I've also looked at the dorsal stripes. Males tend to have outer stripes that are brownish like the wide middle one. Females have the same but with a dark edge on the outer ones. Almost like males have two colors and females have three.
If you're eyeballing a batch you'll probably see what I mean. Just look for one drastically looking more towards what I described as male characteristics
Thank You. This helps me for my best guess pick.

Back
Top Bottom