Sexing French Black Copper Marans Chicks (at 6 weeks old)

NERVOUS

In the Brooder
May 8, 2020
Los Angeles County
Heard the first cock-a-doodle-doo today... So, it’s probably time to start sexing chicks.

Our chicks are 6 weeks old... And there are 10 of them. I’m curious, what’s the most effective physical characteristic used to sex French Black Copper Marans (at this age)?

Based on other sexing threads I’ve read through, I feel pretty sure about 3-4 cockerels and 2-3 pullets... But I’m a rookie at this so, it feels more like guessing at this point. Maybe I have a couple late blooming cockerels (mistaken for pullets)... Or maybe I have a few early blooming pullets (mistaken for cockerels)... Who knows? :(

Is taking individual pictures of each one the best option here?

Thank you in advance, appreciate it.

Heard the first cock-a-doodle-doo today... So, it’s probably time to start sexing chicks.

Our chicks are 6 weeks old... And there are 10 of them. I’m curious, what’s the most effective physical characteristic used to sex French Black Copper Marans (at this age)?

Based on other sexing threads I’ve read through, I feel pretty sure about 3-4 cockerels and 2-3 pullets... But I’m a rookie at this so, it feels more like guessing at this point. Maybe I have a couple late blooming cockerels (mistaken for pullets)... Or maybe I have a few early blooming pullets (mistaken for cockerels)... Who knows? :(

Is taking individual pictures of each one the best option here?

Thank you in advance, appreciate it.
Yeah, we need good quality individual pics of each one. One pic of the head (comb,wattles) and one full body pic.

Back
Top Bottom