Sexing my polish chicks (UPDATED 5 weeks old.. more pics)

teresa-78

Songster
9 Years
Jun 24, 2010
England
I have 4 polish chicks that hatched out of 6..... They are 4 weeks old, probably to young to sex... But I feel I may know the sex of some of them and would like other peoples opinions. Thanks in advance
big_smile.png

1# Feel this is a hen

61403_chicks_polish_and_cockeral_harold_040.jpg

61403_chicks_polish_and_cockeral_harold_034.jpg

2# I feel this is a cockeral due to the small comb appearing

61403_chicks_polish_and_cockeral_harold_059.jpg

61403_chicks_polish_and_cockeral_harold_055.jpg

3# Unsure of this one it has slight little bobbles above its beak, but nothing like 2#

61403_chicks_polish_and_cockeral_harold_063.jpg

61403_chicks_polish_and_cockeral_harold_064.jpg

4# Same as 3# unsure about the slight bobbles above beak

61403_chicks_polish_and_cockeral_harold_069.jpg

61403_chicks_polish_and_cockeral_harold_068.jpg

I am trying to build up various colours for breeding stock, so I can sell hatching eggs, nothing major just to really pay for the keep of my fantastic chickens. So I can really only keep 1 cockeral from this batch, if 3# is a cockeral then I cannot keep it as I want 2 smooth cockerals with a group of smooth and frizzled hens. I have 6 SL Polish going into lockdown today. Anyway thanks for looking and your input would be much appreciated.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
They are really pretty chicks. did you uses and incubator or let a hen hatch them? I cant get any of my hens broody which sucks since i want to breed chickens:(

Quote:
Hiya thanks very much, I used an incubator to hatch them, have another 6 that have gone into lockdown today, they are SL Polish, so nail biting has commenced lol.

Maybe leaving a few eggs in there nest box.. be sure to mark the ones to be left in.... this may kick start your broodies
big_smile.png

Polish very rarely sit on their eggs. As far as the sex of your chicks, when they crow or lay an egg you'll know for sure! I had a six month old that I swore was a hen until he finally crowed! One of the best ways with Polish though is their crest. Males are alot more spikey and females are more smooth and rounded if that helps. Polish are a wonderful breed. I have WC Black, Tolbunt, Buff and GL. They have a personality unlike any of my other chickens!

Quote:
Yeah it is rather difficult to tell while chicks... I just got spooked because I saw this comb, and then the bobbles on the other 2 and thought OMG out of 4 I have 3 cockerals lol.

I am 100% sure 1# is hen... and I will eat my own hat if she is not lol...

Tolbunt wow I have never seen that colour before!!!! It looks like it has been in a snow blizzard... I am going to be on the look out for that colour
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats great thanks I knew 1# was and you just confirmed it, she looks so feminine lol.

2# Has a little comb

3# and 4# have sort of little bobbles, not a comb so fingers crossed they are hens, but that is not my luck lol... I keep checking for tiny wattles to appear lol.

Quote:
I would have to agree, he has very thick legs, and the largest of them all, from hatch day to now... I was hoping he would be a hen since I am only
keeping smooth and frizzled hens and only smooth cockerals. Just my luck lol...

Thanks for your input
big_smile.png

Well they are 5 weeks old now, and have changed so much in the past week... do polish pullets have any sign of little bobbles where the comb would be???

Anyway here are more pics and the little bobbles on the frizzle and black chick
smile.png

#1 Hen??

61403_chicks_001.jpg

61403_chicks_002.jpg

61403_chicks_003.jpg

#2 Cockeral??

61403_chicks_2_002.jpg

61403_chicks_009.jpg

61403_chicks_012.jpg

#3 ??

61403_chicks_2_001.jpg