Sexing runner ducks

Frozen Feathers

Songster
12 Years
May 4, 2007
Maine
These are both supposed to be female runners, but one is heavier then the other. Does that mean anything? Could the thin black one be a male, or just a better bred runner....???

100_2580.jpg

The black runner
100_2594-1.jpg

Fawn and white runner
Also it appears my fawn and white may have a crest, does that have something to do with her being heavier, maybe crossed with a heavier crested breed. These are supposed to be pure breeds, they are also from Ideal.

lol I have the exact same pair. They were sexed as females by ideal hatchery. My fawn and white runner is crested and she is twice the size as my black non crested runner. Mine are 4 weeks old I think non crested runners tend to be better bred, at least mine is she stands taller and is smaller than my other one.

P1010020-8.jpg

P1010001-10.jpg

P1010011-15.jpg

Thanks Chickenlover88, that gives me confidence, that mine are girls.
smile.png
This is my first time having farm ducks, I had flying mallards and really didn't enjoy them, they were flighty and wild, so I am just pleased with these girls. They are just hilarious, and I'm really enjoying having them.

well- unless you know how to vent check them....you'll have to wait until they start to speak.

Females will QUACK
Males do this low soft sexy raspy sound--not "ducklike" at all.

ALso, when they mature, the males will get a CURL feather on their back near their tail.

HAVE FUN WITH THEM!
Sandra

PS- THe one female duck I had the "talked" all the time, never ended up laying! I thought she might be androgenous.

Typically, males talk all day and females only talk when needed.

Back
Top Bottom