Sexing Speckled Sussex - (1st time mom's observations) pic intensive

Hi starboardlabs...just wondering how your Sussex is doing.....any new pics?

Hi Sue T, she's doing great! She's going to be 15 wks if I remember right. I need to get a better pic, she's lightening fast. Her comb is still pale and no waddles. Probably around mid/late September when she will start laying IMG_3152.JPG

My S Sussex has been my best layer. I have some new pullets, 20 weeks, and the only one laying is a little Sebright bantam! She has laid 3 tiny eggs in 4 days, so she's giving Speckles a run for her money...

KikisGirls, SueT, Drumstick Diva :)

Just a follow up at 19 weeks, she laid her first egg. It's a soft shell, as I haven't switched the feed over yet to layer feed (I have a couple of youngsters turning 18 weeks in another week). But here it is, the proof in the pudding if you will. This is the chick I had suspected was a rooster, the same one so many so people all swore up and down was a cockerel even after I had the DNA results telling me she was a pullet. She is all hen and I adore this silly character :)

IMG_3595.JPG IMG_3608.JPG

KikisGirls, SueT, Drumstick Diva :)

Just a follow up at 19 weeks, she laid her first egg. It's a soft shell, as I haven't switched the feed over yet to layer feed (I have a couple of youngsters turning 18 weeks in another week). But here it is, the proof in the pudding if you will. This is the chick I had suspected was a rooster, the same one so many so people all swore up and down was a cockerel even after I had the DNA results telling me she was a pullet. She is all hen and I adore this silly character :)

View attachment 1145000 View attachment 1145001
:ya:clap:clap
Soft eggs can happen at first, but get her some oyster shell. Those that need it will eat it, and those that don't, won't. Many people give oyster shell in addition to layer feed.
Congrats on first egg!!!!

Thanks so much for this thread! I am in the same position right now with my chick and feel certain that Henrietta is a Henry (mostly based upon stance and that comb!). But now I will keep my fingers crossed....

Thanks so much for this thread! I am in the same position right now with my chick and feel certain that Henrietta is a Henry (mostly based upon stance and that comb!). But now I will keep my fingers crossed....
how about posting some pics....

Back
Top Bottom