SF bay area-- Wanted: Young rooster for free range

You can't have an all rooster flock they will kill each other one after another
Incorrect.

People keep flocks of entirely roosters all the time, whether it be they're raising them for meat production, or if they're just giving their breeder hens a break. I have a pen specifically for the boys when I don't want them harassing the hens.

ETA: You cannot do this with every breed, a lot of gamefowl will fight to the death if penned with other roos. But most breeds can and do mix well.

Last edited:
Are you still looking for a rooster? I have a young Black Australorp roo for free rehoming, he is a gentleman and was hand raised so I hate to see him go in a stew pot, but I cannot keep a cock as I am near neighbors. He is currently free-ranging daily in my yard with 6 other Australorps (5 pullets and one other cockerel).

Let me know if interested I can get a pic of him for you. I am a couple hours south on the 101 but I have been traveling north to Monterey about once a month for work, so I'm sure we could work something out. :)

Is this thread still open?

I have several beautiful boys looking for homes in the SF bay. They are super sweet, hand-raised Half-wyandotte boys. They are smart and beautiful, and are super nice to the other chickens and each other, so they should acclimate well to a new home. They aren't purebred, but they are the sweetest rooster I have ever owned and are still super beautiful. They are all about 26 weeks old.

If you have a rooster that needs a good home: I am looking for one lucky young rooster to add to my flock of laying hens for a free range situation in rural Half Moon Bay.

This bird will have a long and happy life with lots of ladies if he fits the following criteria:

1) CANNOT be human aggressive.
2) Must be of a dual purpose heritage breed, preferably: Dominique, Black Australorp, or Rhode Island Red
3) Older than 20 weeks preferably.

I am happy to pick up the bird from a reasonable distance from Half Moon Bay, and perhaps pay a reasonable amount for the right bird.

Please contact me if interested. Happy holidays.
Hi there, I have a friendly 19/20 weeks old black jersey. Oakland

If you have a rooster that needs a good home: I am looking for one lucky young rooster to add to my flock of laying hens for a free range situation in rural Half Moon Bay.

This bird will have a long and happy life with lots of ladies if he fits the following criteria:

1) CANNOT be human aggressive.
2) Must be of a dual purpose heritage breed, preferably: Dominique, Black Australorp, or Rhode Island Red
3) Older than 20 weeks preferably.

I am happy to pick up the bird from a reasonable distance from Half Moon Bay, and perhaps pay a reasonable amount for the right bird.

Please contact me if interested. Happy holidays.
I know it has been 9 years since you posted this note but I do have 2 free 14 week old roosters if you are interested. One is a Barnevelder and the other is a Lavender Wyandotte.

Back
Top Bottom